Woman in wench costume captures sword thief at Colorado Renaissance Festival

That’s a good point. I should have thought of that. Perhaps even IVF is lawful good then.

Evil are definitely the most fun characters to play. Who doesn’t want to be the Magnificent Bastard? You get to prove all the heroes wrong! But ya still gotta lose in the end.

I went to half a dozen renaissance fairs with a husband and wife who made jewelry, utensils, cups–small stuff. Their stuff was pricey but still barely covered the cost of materials. They did it purely for fun. I can’t imagine how much it costs to make a sword.

I never been to one.
Do they have brothels?

Does a picture exist? I’d love to see what the final product look like.

Could we, y’know, not with that?

2 Likes

Damn. I am impressed. Where did you learn all that, from a book?

I made some decent wood swords to take to the ren fair (local one didn’t allow real steel). I still have them.

I have a friend who makes swords and I finally was able to afford a nice Damascus steel dagger for $350.

Nope, no photos. It was done illicitly as a teenager.

But,it had about the same look and feel as a piece of metal tape measure.

I learned the general principles of metal working from the encyclopedia. And a show on the history channel that was about how katanas were made.

I had already thought of thermal shock to break large geodes into smaller chunks (heat the big rock in the fire, then drop it into the nearby lake or stream, crunch-boom, you’ve turned your big, heavy rock into pocket sized pieces)

Squishing metal isn’t really that hard… Except that, well, you have to squish metal. I’m a retired silver/brass/bronze guy, and knew the temps and colors pretty well. Different carbon levels of steel, nickel, maganesr, chromium, tungsten vanafium… I’d just have to look up their temps.

From a few smiths I know the forge and blowers are easy. Do you want coke for big things? Or venturied propane for smaller things? But the expensive parts are solid, well made anvils and hammers. Not an anvil from harbor freight that will dent the first time (and transfer that dent to your work).

A high tungsten steel anvil would be boss.

Sure it isn’t hard if you know what you are doing. That is what you are usually paying for - their experience, expertise, and craftsmanship. Unless it is gold or silver, the material cost isn’t that much. IIRC the rare African wood cost more than the metal blade in raw cost.

2 Likes

Yeah, there are things done as a teenager that didn’t need documentation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.