Woman points gun at mother and daughter in Chipotle car lot, charged with assault

I always thought the characters in Reservoir Dogs were so polite./s

10 Likes

There are two versions of this video that I have seen.

I don’t want to watch either of them, again.

1 Like

“Brandishing” is technically a misdemeanor, or at least it is in Arizona. (IANAL, YMMV) They don’t take your 2nd amendment rights away for those, only felony convictions.

But yeah, that was MASSIVELY over reacting.

5 Likes

now you’re gonna get hit with fines and possibly jail time.

God, I love your optimism.

6 Likes

I’m sure she feels she is. And all those (self-reported) statistics about people who were “saved” by having a gun? They’re full of people like her and situations like this. (Apparently self-awareness is the first casualty when owning a gun.)

12 Likes

Yup. That’s a big part of my point. 2A supporters love to point out how many Responsible Gun Owners™ there are in America. The problem with that is, how many are like this Michigan Woman, or St. Louis Bonnie and Clod, and are irresponsible and incompetent gun owners?

I’ve been menaced three times by Responsible Gun Owners™ over non-confrontations. I’ve reported each one to police, and not once was the other person held accountable in any way. Even in this case, Michigan Woman had her guns confiscated but not held criminally liable. Odds are good that she will file some paperwork and get her guns back, too.

18 Likes

Fine. Charge her with a misdemeanor. Just make sure she doesn’t walk away with nothing but a warning.

2 Likes

Ah, Oakland County. I am confused as to whether this happened in Lake Orion or Auburn Hills as per the tweet, but they are not far from each other.

My mother lived in Auburn Hills for the last 10-15 years of her life. Her husband at the time sold his old beater to a kid who lived down the street and had just gotten his license. When the kid took the car for a test drive, my brother said he was so rattled by the darker hues of the kid’s skin that my mother’s husband gave him his entire key chain instead of just the car keys–and immediately had a locksmith out to change all his locks.

The sale apparently went without a hitch, though, and the kid was always friendly to my mom.

This is close to the area in Rochester where a few years ago a gentleman shot at a kid who got lost on the way to school and knocked on the gentleman’s door. This was on Boing Boing at least once but I could not find a link.

6 Likes

I’m with you. This reminded me of a similar recent thread where the “Karen” in question could’ve just driven into her garage but instead got out of her car, confronted the guy videoing her then had a complete meltdown.
Sometimes I wonder if lead poisoning might be involved, since it damages the decision making part of the brain early on. Impaired impulse control. Sometimes I think voluntarily watching Fox “news” is like voluntarily chewing on a lead-paint-covered windowsill as a toddler. Only as a grown up.

That sucks and must’ve been so scary! I’m glad you’re still here to tell about it.

12 Likes

Thanks! Though I wasn’t even rattled at the time because, 1. like I said, there was no confrontation to even have it make a modicum of sense, and 2. It was clear from the start they were just doing it to intimidate and show some kind of dominance rather than responding to a threat. It was a gesture, like flipping me the bird.

It was odd how uniform all three incidents were. I asked a polite question, they pulled a gun (didn’t point it at me) and told me to fuck off. I did. Same thing, three different times, three different assholes, separated by distance and time.

14 Likes

That’s pretty fucking nuts. Sorry you had that happened three times!

6 Likes

Here is an expanded video of the entire incident. I feel like no one was willing to walk away from this without continuing to escalate.

You wanna go to 5. I’m going to take this to 6.
Oh you are going to 6. I’m taking this to 7.
And on it went until we got the worst escalation of them all.

2 Likes

just noting the plural here:

… but her guns were confiscated …

6 Likes

Perhaps you’re thinking of:

8 Likes

This is what happens when assholes bump into assholes. Things escalate to a point that just isn’t necessary.

3 Likes

Hmmm… maybe the problem is there just aren’t enough guns. Keep making guns till they pile up, filling the streets and sidewalks, drifting against houses until everything is impassible.

All materials must be diverted into the production of more firearms. No more food, clothing, or shelter to be produced until everyone wading waist deep in guns, and keep piling them on till no one can leave their house. Only then can we keep the peace…

No bullets, though. That would waste precious gun-making material.

5 Likes

Clearly the final one was I went to 9 what are you gonna do? IM GOING TO TEN MILLION.

Assholes are gonna asshole.

“…her reactionary hatred of people of color…” FTFY

Boy, did Robert Heinlein ever get that wrong!

1 Like

and professional!

“Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.”

12 Likes