Woman transforms herself into Betty Boop

I’m not uncomfortable :slight_smile:
(she’s a sex symbol after all!)

Not to venture off topic too much but Cab Calloway was so so so awesome! Thank God that The Blues Brothers introduced him to my generation!

4 Likes

That’s what I thought too: not that someone saw a bird and just had to point it out, but that they saw something weird and tried to make sense of it.

Also: Interesting to see the differences in the intro from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s (well, assuming that the info at this link is correct–it doesn’t appear to give any references/citations)

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/s/superman.shtml

1 Like

I imagine that what would really alarm the doctor is the patient’s density.

Humans usually hover approximately around the density of water(pretty accurate for anyone who floats when they inhale but sinks if they exhale; slightly less dense with substantial fat content; somewhat more dense if everything that isn’t mission-critical organs is mostly muscle and bone); so somebody who masses north of 360kg, but looks like Clark Kent, has something deeply, deeply, aberrant going on.

1 Like

Step 1: Already kinda look like Betty Boop

13 Likes

There is a wonderful and entertaining essay on that subject.

2 Likes

Those were the two-reel “features” – three Popeye Color Specials, shot in Technicolor. I was just old enough to be aware of watching TV when a.a.p. secured the rights to Popeye in 1956; what a way to start my media life! Completely floored when I saw my first two-reeler…must have been 1958 or so. Here’s the first of the Color Specials, Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor, produced in 1936. (The TV world was B&W back then, which made this one even spookier. But it’s still tons of fun in color.)

1 Like

Of course the most difficult thing is to make yourself ~3.5 heads tall…
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/79/79nsusskind.phtml

St. James Infirmary FTW!

3 Likes

Every time I see a makeup video, I start out thinking, “I can follow along with this and learn something.” Then, I can see, I really cannot do this. I now have lots of makeup (thanks to living near the Estee Lauder factory and getting huge grab bags of their stuff at work), lots of nice brushes, and I watch these things. And I suck.

This girl - kuddos to her. Good job!

6 Likes

Yeah, that seems to be an important implied step in a lot of cosplay. Thank goodness for media that includes gas mask mooks/power armor/extras of widely varying appearance, eh?

I know what you mean. It’s like the uncanny valley from the other direction.

A friend of mine is in KTown right now, getting gussied up for the L.A. MST3K premiere tonight. “I just can’t do my Asian eyes to save my life, so I’ll the pros do it. Yeah, I’ll watch them and tell myself to remember how they do it…but later it’ll like trying to recall what happened in the dentist’s chair.”

2 Likes

Exactly. My next door neighbor is a serious MUA - does a lot of magazine covers and fashion week and such. She did my daughter’s makeup for prom. Basically, she’s a magician is what it looks like to me.

5 Likes

I don’t think its possible to go off topic when the discussion has veered to Superman’s BMI and sex life.

Yes, Cab Calloway was so so so awesome. It must have been totally hip in the day to include him in these cartoons. I’ve seen others with Eddie Cantor and other stars of the day. There was a bizarre one about a baby factory delivering infants by stork, after they were inspected by QC they were stamped “kosher” in hebrew!

You sure it wasn’t this Popeye classic?

5 Likes

As always, I see that the most important requirements for a good cosplay are still:

1. Be attractive
  2. Don’t be unattractive
1 Like

One of the links on this thread led me to the name Mae Questel, who provided the voice (and one of the visual references) for Betty Boop, right up to her appearance in Roger Rabbit.

And that Wikipedia page included a little reference to Mae’s late-career appearance in… National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation! Mind blown.

4 Likes

I loved that cameo. “Work’s been a little slow since cartoons went to color…” The plight of the aging starlet in an industry that values women only as eye candy and sex objects. Funny yet touchingly sad.

3 Likes

Do you see what your thread has started…:slight_smile: ?

2 Likes