Woman was late for flight so she told airlines there was a bomb on board

Not a mistake. I have never mistakenly made a bomb threat.

On an unrelated note, saying things you like are “the bomb” has got to go. Especially if you’re talking about your new suitcase. At the airport.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Why didn’t I think of that?

Oh I know why: I suffer from Departure Anxiety Syndrome, which compels me to be at the departure gate at least an hour before the scheduled time.

5 Likes

Having missed flights (plural) in the past, I’ve since been known to fib about when our plane leaves. “Good news, it leaves at 7, not 6:30!”

4 Likes

And no one sees any problems with this?

1 Like

Ask yourself how many times you’ve been on flights that have resulted in misconnects, delays, or cancellations then extrapolate the impacts of enforcing PPBM (positive passenger bag match) across the thousands of airports and tens of thousands of flights across the US…

Someone even did a study on this: https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/pdf/10.1287/opre.49.2.181.13529

All things considered, we projected the following:
•If international-style bag match were applied in the U.S. domestic air system, roughly one-seventh of flights would suffer departure delays, which would average 7 minutes long. The mean departure delay over all flights— including the six-sevenths that would not be affected— would be about 1 minute.

Doesn’t sound like much but that would equate to billions of dollars annually to the airlines.

2 Likes

It just sounds like a vulnerability waiting to be exploited.

1 Like

Possibly. The next terrorist attack never mirrors the previous ones.

The most effective airplane security measures in place today happen before you even get to the airport however.

2 Likes

Way back when we were still living with my parents (pre-9/11), my brother was a volunteer for one of the big student-exchange organisations. Our house wasn’t that far from the airport, so occasionally we had surprise overnight guests in the shape of boisterous exchange students who had been too liberal with the B-word in the airport/aircraft/… on their way home, had missed their flights being thoroughly grilled by the border police, and were being sent away with a very stern warning not to do it again the next day (or ever). Not a great situation, especially if all of your family and friends are waiting at the other end with the big banners, marching band, etc. to welcome you home after a year’s absence. The upside was, once they arrived at our place, they were usually quite contrite and docile and thoroughly manageable, for a time anyway.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.