Woman was told by AppleCare that he could walk in the store and a part

Anyone that would pay “extra” for the privilege of having to either stand in line or make an appointment at a store to get their laptop fixed needs to reevaluate their purchasing decisions. In my experience, the typical top PC vendor will ship you the necessary part via next day delivery or have a tech on site the next day to fix the problem for you; and this is usually covered by the standard warranty and merely requires a five to ten minute phone call.

Who has the time for this rigmarole if you are using your laptop as a business tool?

Typically, I don’t have any need for service from Apple until my computer is about 5 years old and then I take it to a local store with good service. The Apple store is for people who are not technically inclined or interested in acquiring those skills.

I would bet this whole thing comes down to a temporary mis-understanding about what the word “part” means. She could probably walk in and get what she needs (a new power supply or pair of earbuds for example) but by using the word “part” she got the guy started down the wrong answer track and things went bad from there. She probably listens to all the anti-Apple whiners and anticipated a problem before she got there.

I spent some of my younger days in retail. This has all the hallmarks of a confrontation cooked up in the car on the way to the store.

2 Likes

Hahaha is that what the genii told you? IronEdithKidd already covered all the talking points, but I’ll have a crack as well because: you’re wrong.

Not like non-Apple PC repair guys who aren’t know-it-all douches? Puh-lease.
The point is you find one who is not and you become their regular customer. It’s not hard,. My guy sells me the hardware at prices that are competitive with the cheapest prices online and he installs whatever in my box, as I wait, without appointment and without charge. So: in every way better than the service I’d get from Apple.

I guess you don’t recall all the Best Buy horror stories.

No, I don’t. I’m not American. By the way, in case you didn’t notice, an electronics retailer is not a computer shop. When I want my snowboard tuned I take it to a ski shop, not a general sports store. I expect the people I deal with the have more knowledge of the operation and maintenance of the item in question than me.

The only thing worse than an Apple Genius is a PC genius.

Agreed… That’s why I’d never take my stuff to anyone who calls themselves a genius.

in case you haven’t been paying attention to the PC/Laptop industry
lately…you can’t exactly buy computer parts anywhere

Sounds like someone’s been spending too long in line at the Apple store. I can get PC parts from hundreds of stores across my city. The guy I get stuff off has never been out of stock of anything I needed.

your average person wouldn’t know what to do with a computer part

I’m not your average person and… we’re on the internet.

and would likely void a warranty messing with it.

huh? If something is broken within warranty then you send it to the manufacturer to be fixed for free. If it breaks outside of warranty then there’s no warranty to render void.

Are these talking points issued on little cards at the Apple store or do you guys get together ahead of time to agree on them?

Edit after topic close: @agraham999 You seem to be very desperate to convince us that you’re right. The “Cult of Apple” line is a line because it’s fucking true, as proven by your obsessive desire to show us we’re all wrong, using the cookie-cutter commentary that can be seen 24/7 on any number of Apple rumor sites. Plus, who exactly is “you guys”? I am abusing you via a 27" imac right now. I gifted an ipod touch I won (that I didn’t want to deal with) to my gf. I think Apple makes nice (but overpriced) computers and phones that are toys. I think that their store setup is marketing genius, but laughably pathetic from the perspective of anyone with a general understanding of technology. I made no comment defending this person, I merely pointed out that the Apple store treats people like idiots in attitude and structure.

"I can also tell you that my wife spilled wine on the keyboard of my
MB Air and when I took it into the Apple Store, it was out of
warranty, and they had it repaired in less than a week (they had to
locate a US keyboard, I’m in the UK) and it was a reasonable price for
our error. "

WOW! So, let me get my head around this amazing Apple store experience… You had a broken laptop which was out of warranty and when you took it back to them it only took a week AND you paid for it too? Sounds like a pretty standard repair story, bro. I’ve never been retarded enough to spill a drink on a laptop but if I was I’m pretty sure my experience of getting it repaired would be fairly similar. This is a great example of the Cult of Mac at work: You tell us a story which is supposed to illustrate the superior experience of an Apple service, but in actual fact that’s just how repairing a computer works. They have you convinced that standard, regular stuff is somehow amazing.

What could your point possibly be? That because this happens on the internet all the time then it must be fine? You aren’t one of those “love it or leave it” people, I hope. If something is not right, why not question it?

By the way, people also lose their rag at shop assistants every day, so why not apply some of your “must be your first time in a store hur hur hur” schtick to your own whining about unruly customers?

Yes, obviously the sort of person who is used to getting their way by being the squeakiest wheel for miles around should have people instantly forget about their behavior the instant they’re out of earshot. How could society function otherwise?

Who said that should happen? Why are the only two choices instant memory wipe or an indefinite sentence to worldwide humiliation? I can’t see how anyone can defend the idea that it’s right to punish someone like this for a moment of poor judgement. It’s not like she hurt anyone.

No my point is that we don’t have the entire story, but you (along with many here) concoct this elaborate story whereby it is the fault of everyone else that she’s in her predicament and that her entitled sense of behavior is acceptable…because she’s had a rough day with the kids and blah blah blah.

I’m certain if this was a situation where the video was of someone’s bad behavior that didn’t fit your narrative, you’d be okay with it because in this age as a society we all watch videos of people behaving badly…especially if it’s shaming them into behaving better or it’s necessary to preserve some civil discourse…if this wasn’t on Vine and we heard the entire discussion, you might feel differently…or is it just an Apple thing?

I’m pointing out btw…that for all your high and mighty attitude, you clicked on this video and watched it…it wasn’t forced on you…so you either were expecting to feel a sense of commonality or schadenfreude…so for all your preaching about the ills of the Internet, I suspect you are a willing participant.

Now many looooong years ago I worked in retail…and I’ve been in a lot of retail stores, and I can tell you from experience the ones that yell the loudest, are often the ones who aren’t exactly being on the up and up or who had no plan to be satiated with anything other than a full genuflect and acknowledgement of how wonderful they are. I think while you find blame in the recorder of the video…you should ask yourself…is it EVER acceptable to come into a location and yell at a person like that who is just doing their job? Would you do that? Why are you excusing it because she’s had a hard day (which we don’t know)? I have many hard days and I’ve never behaved like that. It’s narcissistic to yell out in such a manner.

As for my “first time” comment to you…have you not been on the Internet in the past 10 years or so? Person comes into a store and behaves like an utter jerk is filmed thousands of times a day…and here you are getting on my case while being the defender of her and telling me how shameful my and others attitude is for filming the poor woman…when you are every bit as guilty for watching the video. It’s false outrage. I think that you identify with the woman and so it’s convenient for you to defend her and attack any critic that points out in a civil society we don’t yell at people who are just trying to earn a paycheck and do their job. It’s a worse violation, in my opinion, than filming her do the act. Bad behavior should be pointed out.

She was yelling at a person at the store who was there to help her…as if they were the one’s who told her AppleCare said this or that. They aren’t the same division of the company and it is entirely possible she misunderstood what she was told. So I’d say she did hurt people…including whoever was in the stroller she was pushing around and whacking on. It’s distressing and stressful to have to deal with such a person and talk them down.

She’s entirely responsible for her worldwide humiliation. If she hadn’t behaved like an utter ass this video wouldn’t exist. But what really gets my goat is that you obviously identify with her and then chastise me and everyone else for the woman who posts said video but like all of us you watched it. You had no idea until the video played how it would turn out…so you either expected some salacious video of bad behavior or some moment where you identify with her.

So my deeper questions to you would be…why did you watch this video if you don’t like worldwide shaming? Why are you excusing this type of behaviour? Are you saying her outburst is acceptable? Do you behave like this in public?

My number one point in this is that this isn’t acceptable public discourse, and she clearly was being a selfish narcissist…because her body language is all geared up to, “I have an announcement to make. I’m an important person and I was told by AppleCare (which I paid extra for)…that I could come in and get a part and how dare you ask me about an appointment…”

I mean come on…

Are these talking points issued on little cards at the Apple store or
do you guys get together ahead of time to agree on them?

Ha ha ha…that one never gets old…you guys always like to go to the Cult of Apple line because that’s all you got. Woman comes into store, behaves like a jerk, and the narrative is the “Apple store is the worst…” canard.

Sounds like someone’s been spending too long in line at the Apple
store.

Well…unlike some people, I’d make an appointment and not wait in line. I can’t tell you the last time I needed to go into an Apple store for a defective product…because my Apple gear just works. I’m sitting here with a MBP and a Macbook Air…both over two years old and both working just fine. I can also tell you that my wife spilled wine on the keyboard of my MB Air and when I took it into the Apple Store, it was out of warranty, and they had it repaired in less than a week (they had to locate a US keyboard, I’m in the UK) and it was a reasonable price for our error.

That’s an amusing exaggeration of both the reach of this thing and the public’s ability to retain the average meme.

I wrapped up a six year stint at a natural foods grocery last year. During that time, I learned a ton about quality customer service (most previous jobs had been completely shielded), but I also learned that some people come into situations just looking for a fight. They need it, like oxygen.

One person broke into a panicked fit of sobbing, because we’d run out of goat milk. That level of silliness, we’d just chalked up to some sort of underlying life stress or unhappiness. But there were some special cases. I once dealt with a woman who was insisting I restock a discontinued item just for her, even after I’d calmly explained that I had to order it in 200# increments, amounts I could never sell (since she was the only one interested) and that were eating up too much storage to be practical. Would she be willing to make a bulk order? NO! Would she be interested in the consumer retail link to order moderate amounts from the producer, at a lower price than I was forced to sell it? NOO!!

Her parting (huffy, smirking) words: “That’s okay… You do whatever’s best for you!”

It’s clear from the video snip that this woman is not simply unloading on a service employee (94% of the time, an unwarranted, absolutely crap thing to do), but actually directing her rant at the entire store. Fuck her. She wanted attention, now she’s got it.

As to the “motherhood” defense, I just find that weird. It’s not that I don’t understand that it’s a sometimes stressful occupation. But I’m increasingly seeing people justify otherwise completely unacceptable behavior by saying, “but, but MOMS SO DIFFICULT MOMS!” It’s almost like old-school “hysteria” is now a convenient excuse. My mom experienced the stress of raising two kids. Sometimes she lost her cool, when we were being particularly annoying. But those rare freakouts were almost always private, and – to my knowledge – always targeted at those who were doing the damn annoying. You know, us kids.

Well, one time she went off on a museum guard for telling me not to point at a painting. But that’s the protective instinct, and not relevant to this case. Unless the MagicAppleFairy was trying to steal her baby?

1 Like

Amen…a reasoned response to a situation that was uncalled for.

In this video…it isn’t someone at the end of her rope because this person did anything wrong…its a complete narcissist who MUST HAVE EVERYONE’S ATTENTION RIGHT NOW (CUE HAND POUNDING FOR EMPHASIS)!! I WAS TOLD TO COME GET MY PART, HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.

Because of the shortness of Vine I’m assuming we missed the part where she goes…DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

I was in a spa not long ago waiting for my wife who was relaxing, when some guy who was there started yelling because they couldn’t give him another towel…because they are given out at another desk and the poor woman he’s yelling at doesn’t have any towels…she’s just calmly trying to explain why she can’t give him another towel. Which is when I got involved and told him to shut the f up because he was being abusive and threatening to this poor woman and totally killing the spa vibe. I’m 6ft and 220lbs…a bit harder to push around than the 5’1" girl he’s yelling at. That instance and this woman in the video is a case of bullying…and deserves public shaming.

That’s a strange reply. Then again, given that you have yet to make a clear point, the fact that you got some amusement out of this exchange at least means you aren’t empty handed. ‘Indefinite’ is another way of saying ‘for who knows how long’ and BoingBoing is quite a popular site around the world (and also not the only one featuring this), so where exactly is the exaggeration? You also neglected to answer my question about why those are the only two choices. I’m asking because there may be a third option for the OP (bear with me here): just TRY not recording everything on your phone like some sort of high-school gossip. Why is that so difficult?

As for your comment about the half-life of a typical meme, I’d love to know why that matters. You can’t possibly be saying that it’s right that a few moments of poor judgement should be met with this kind of treatment from people who weren’t even involved in the exchange. It’s a shitty world we live in where just minding your own damn business and letting the two people involved sort out their own differences in peace is apparently no longer doable.

……

Where’s the facepalm icon?

1 Like

I never said that this lady was definitely a worn-out mother at the end of her tether, but rather that it may be the case and that it’s a shame that she now has people all over the world passing judgement on her without knowing the full story. Maybe she’s an asshole, maybe not. But she is definitely going through an ordeal now because of this exposure (you are kidding yourself if you deny that). She did no real harm to the person she yelled at but is now enduring something obviously materially worse just because some other asshole got a kick out of it. How is that okay with you?

At the end of the day, every single one of us who is posting here has, at some point or another in their adult life, disgraced themselves in public. You might not have freaked out like this lady did, but perhaps you were rude to a waiter, perhaps you showed a bit of road rage, perhaps you just overreacted to someone who was rude to you. Just be glad that you were (presumably) never recorded and shamed on the internet for any of those moments of indiscretion. YET. Remember, the world is now full of nosy pricks all too ready and willing to fill that void when (not if) you do it again, and it also seems to be full of people ready and willing to cheer them on for doing it. Les jeux sont faits.

I agree; that’s pretty impressive for an Apple product. :wink:

I was only responding to the following, from agraham999, not directly to you:

…concoct this elaborate story whereby it is the fault of everyone else that she’s in her predicament and that her entitled sense of behavior is acceptable…because she’s had a rough day with the kids and blah blah blah.

But maybe she is, you say? So what. We’re all at the end of our proverbial tether. It’s how you handle those sorts of insane moments that matters, and most of us don’t behave like the woman in this clip. That’s what makes it “extraordinary” enough to warrant the interest it’s receiving. At a certain point, we don’t need a backstory, because we can instinctively understand that this is abnormal.

I actually have a pretty conflicted/nuanced view of “let’s embarrass the crazy people” viral video trend. For instance, I felt weird about watching that one where the dude lost his shit, scared everyone out of the coffee shop, and smashed his laptop. The one where the guy makes fun of his “stupid” wife about MPH didn’t sit well with me either (I’m not that out of it, but I understand her logical hiccup). And the lengthy video, also recently shown on BB, of the infantile older dude freaking out and smashing his guitar, was – in my mind – in very poor taste. (I also felt genuine sadness for the unlucky guitar.)

Those last two, in particular, were troubling precisely because they were private events. I don’t think it’s appropriate to expose that sort of thing, in most cases. My unease about the issue dissipates significantly when the overreaction/abusive behavior is explicitly – deliberately – public. And it vanishes almost entirely when the tantrum is directed at a service industry worker.

To blithely claim that this woman “did no real harm” to the store employee is just weaksauce. Every job I’ve held, since the age of 12 (long story, involving an unpaid piano lesson debt), has been in that sector. I can assure you that such visceral attacks are indeed stressful to those on the receiving end. There are reasons why these gigs consistently rank at the bottom of “most stressful/depressing jobs” lists.

Yes, we’ve all been at least a little “rude” in public. But this sort of thing isn’t being rude in a weak moment, it’s being abusive to a perceived inferior who can’t fight back. (The underlying excuse is irrelevant.) If someone behaved like that in some 1850s frontier town, with nary a gossipy telegraph office in sight, they would be rightly judged for it. They would be talked about, and maybe even socially rebuked or marginalized. The “town” is just bigger now, and we all have “telegraphs”…

Try applying your argument to recording law enforcement abuses. Would you say that the dude in the stranglehold didn’t suffer much damage, relative to the poor, embarrassed cops?

1 Like

It’s sad that when you’ve had a really shitty day, probably with kids
driving you up the wall, and you’re at your wits’ end, and when some
asshole at the Apple Store fobs you off and, in a vulnerable moment,
you lose your composure just a bit, the first thought that pops into
other people’s heads is “I can humiliate this woman on the internet”?

You not only said that but you call the Apple Store worker an asshole. Nice. I don’t think this is a case of losing your composure just a bit…she went full out attention seeker.

I know the world is full of nosy pricks and I’ll go as far as to say its really most of us…including you who watched this video and then said how sad it was it was recorded. I’m sure you’ve watched hundreds of videos online which fall into the same category of making you a nosy prick. We’re all guilty of it.

What I’ve been saying all along here (which you were not the only guilty person) is that you haven’t seen the entire video and even if we heard her side to the story, we’ll never hear the employees side because the company (Apple) would not disparage her. They’ll likely (and probably did so at the store) help her out and probably took care of her problem. So you coming in here and talking about how sad our society is and then slagging off some poor person just trying to make a living, is a bit disingenuous…and let me remind you…you called them an asshole while being sympathetic to the only asshole I saw in the video.

For all the videos with this type of unacceptable behavior, there are thousands of moments never seen of similar treatment of people who are working in some type of service industry who have to eat the crap dealt to them on a daily basis with a smile…and to excuse it is a disservice to all of us as human beings.

Friser le ridicule

I keep asking myself the same question.

Hold on a moment. Why are you talking about 1850s frontier towns? How are they relevant? Draw up a ledger in your mind, weighing the behaviour of the woman against the treatment she has received from people who were not even involved in the first place.

This lady has a family. She has friends. She probably has an employer. She also has a kid who will most likely be humiliated by this clip when he or she reaches middle school. You are absolutely KIDDING yourself if you think there is any reasonable proportionality to this, whatsoever.