Woman who documented sexual harassment receives rape threats

Accurate, but a little troubling that the best way to explain sexism is to encourage homophobia…

2 Likes

Become even more aware. Find out about local women’s groups and feminist organizations. Listen to women and their perspective. Don’t make demands on them on how they need to handle it. Support them. There are many amazing men who are feminists. Take Joseph-Gordon Levitt

He has written and spoken out on many feminist issues.
Don’t just sit back and say “now what?” actually do something.

5 Likes

But I don’t see it happening. Note, I’m not saying I see it and ignore it, I am genuinely, 100% not aware of such things happening. I’m not going to get all up in random strangers business and start calling them out on the off chance that they may have done something that I haven’t seen. In the one instance when a friend of mine was approached and I was aware of it I absolutely told the offending party that his advance was not welcome but in the same way that I don’t instruct every person I see in a shop not to shoplift, I am not going to shout out against incidents of harassment that I don’t witness.

What the fuck? Where did I even suggest at that?

Yet you see these videos? You see movies? You see comments online? TV? You do see it! Just because it isn’t happening in flesh and blood doesn’t mean you don’t see it. You just don’t want to.

3 Likes

Well, did you watch the video? Then you are 100% aware such things are happening. So go and give hollaback $5 and get it off your chest, if you like.

3 Likes

Jump back. I didn’t even say you did. Many men tell women how we are supposed to handle these situations. I am saying what men need to do as a whole. You asked a question, I gave an answer. Your knee jerk reaction here isn’t kosher.

4 Likes

Yes I saw the video and it was incredibly eye opening as ITS SOMETHING I WAS NOT AWARE WAS GOING ON. Thats the point I’m making here. If its not something that is in the sphere of my experience how can I be expected to do something about it.

1 Like

I am glad that is eye opening. That’s excellent! And now that you are seeing it, you can start to find out more about it and make changes.

2 Likes

Catcalls are obnoxious in any circumstance IMO, and stalking certainly is as well. I was referring to striking up a conversation with someone you don’t know, within appropriate limits, and then backing the hell off if the interest isn’t immediately and obviously reciprocated. Granted, I’m a total INFP so I don’t do this myself.

Make WHAT changes? I’m already a not-cat-caller. I already would not put up with it from people I know. I already speak up every time I see it happening. What more can I possibly do?

I already gave you a list of things you can do, as did other commenters. The ball is in your court.

4 Likes

http://www.ihollaback.org/

8 Likes

This is completely meaningless to me. I have no money to give to such a campaign. Keep posting that url at me though, I’m sure that’ll somehow inflate my bank balance to levels where I can donate

LOL @Woodchuck45 - I’ll take you at your word that you’re not being sarcastic. What you describe is common courtesy. You’re not approaching or addressing people FOR NO REASON other than their appearance or because you’re sexually interested in them or because you want a reaction from them are you?

OK. Well you could try persuading the wilfully obtuse on the internet that they could do plenty about it, although that gets boring pretty damn fast.

Edit: Snark aside, that’s the campaign, they’ve got the ideas on how to help, they are mobilised and active. If you wanted to act on the issue, they have tools to help, beyond just giving money.

4 Likes

@daneel made excellent suggestions that are free. I gave you ones that cost no money. If you are already doing those, great! Keep it up!
Volunteer at a women’s shelter. Become a member of Big Brothers and mentor a young man. There are countless ways you can make a difference that don’t cost you a dime.

5 Likes

When I was in my early 20s and in film school, I accompanied a fellow student – a young, very good-looking woman – around center city Philadelphia one afternoon.

Every 30 seconds there was a honk and a call from a passing car. If I hadn’t personally been accompanying her, I have no doubt there would have been exactly the kinds of up-close, in-your-face catcalls we see in this video.

From that experience I learned that a city is not the same experience for women as it is for men.

I also learned that a lot of men assume that personal boundaries don’t matter, if the person in question is a woman.

Good lessons to learn as a very young man.

8 Likes

I’m pretty skeptical that this is something that can be cured by internet driven cultural shift. However, NYC’s $350 fine for excessive honking is still on the books and extending it to this sort of harassment seems natural.

When we lived in NYC, my wife found that she only got cat-called when she was alone. If either I was there or our kids were there, then there was nothing.