Woman who shamed Starbucks worker is now suing to get his GoFundMe donations

Chiropractors are not real doctors and most of them aren’t even particularly qualified to work on people’s backs.

The scientific literature and especially the best controlled, largest N studies show chiropractic is a bit less effective than physical therapy, while noticably better than doing nothing.

So if you live in some shithole country without universal healthcare, then I guess chiropractors aren’t the worst possible choice if you specifically have back pain.

29 Likes

Generally you have a right to control your own image for commercial purposes. For example, a restaurant owner couldn’t take a picture of a patron and then use it for their advertising (absent consent). Even though there is no expectation of privacy while eating in a public restaurant and image maybe captured for other, non-commercial, purposes (e.g., in the background of someone taking picture of a birthday dinner). For average schmoes, it’s rare. For celebrities, it’s a bigger deal.

If the schmoe (or celebrity) did something newsworthy, then such images are fair game.

11 Likes

MikeR

> Frank_Farmer1

23m

Oh that is a treasure trove…

Yeah, right? From the same story:

“She provided ABC 10News with two documents to prove her medical exemption. One is a pelvic exam from 2015”

17 Likes

I bet she voted Trump! I believe a company can choose to do business (or not) with anybody they so desire. I don’t think discrimination enters into it. Did she enter the premises without her alleged exemption notes? If so, surely there’s no come-back? The hand-written one looks like some kid’s attempt to cover up lack of homework: “The dog eat it!”. I think I could have conjured up something more believable. Sounds like a nasty piece of work.

3 Likes

Buuut; most people already mask that area; it’s called underwear … Wait, I don’t want to know …

16 Likes

You know who else was named Lenin?

Hitler!

28 Likes

Karen v Lenin! Battle of the Titans!

4 Likes

You can sue anybody for anything in America. Doesn’t mean you won’t get laughed out of court.

The only thing this story didn’t touch on is if Lenin got the cash. Does he even know about this? The GoFundMe doesn’t seem to have any content from him.

4 Likes

The article posted by @Frank_Farmer1 has this:

Lenin said he plans to use that money to further his education and also follow his dreams of dancing.

(Which I fully support)

18 Likes

9 Likes

if this yoga karen did hot yoga to sweat out toxicity she’d vanish. how on earth does she get to say namaste and get away with it. if there were a candidate for someone to force the entire population to do yoga over smart tvs in a parody of 1984 it would be this karen.

4 Likes

Fortunately California has one of the stronger anti-SLAPP statues in the US, despite two decades of oxygen thieves lobbying to overturn it.

20 Likes

The news video that @Frank_Farmer1 shared appeared to show Lenin receiving the cash in a briefcase at some event.

3 Likes

Um… what is ‘false light’ and what are we going to do if it invades?

1 Like

Agreed - and there has been more than a little evidence of them pushing absurd pseudoscientific ‘treatments’. Give me a qualified osteopath any day.

6 Likes

To add to this, under California common law, you have a proprietary interest in your own identity (ie, a property right). It is generally a violation of this right for someone to use your name, likeness, etc, without your consent for commercial purposes. (N.B. IANAL, but Midler v. Ford was the first case I briefed getting my paralegal certificate.)

1 Like

Obviously doesn’t apply here because the information was disclosed by the plaintiff, and even then, the defendant didn’t in any way alter or mischaracterize the information, so there’s no false impression, let alone clear and convincing evidence of malice/negligence.

7 Likes

You can’t doctor’s note yourself out of public health and safety.

If you want to break the law and endanger others with impunity, you gotta do what everyone else does and spend 4 weekends in class and become a cop.

12 Likes
1 Like

Presumably her attorney gets paid either way.

6 Likes