Woman wins suit against New Jersey to use 8THEIST license plate

Hate El Satan? Why? Is he undocumented?

15 Likes

I think it’s a Jingle All The Way situation where El Satan is the fake, cheaper version with the voice chips stolen from LatAm stock peddled by fake santas. Remember kids: only get your Satan™ from authorized retailers!

7 Likes

Will you be cruising around in a Down With Cis shirt, too?

I saw a Porsche in Sherman Oaks whose plate read “PUDENDA.”

Don’t know what effect they were going for.

9 Likes

Thank Dog!

3 Likes

Trust me, we have no shortage of asshats. Christie is simply their chosen avatar.

4 Likes

From the list of the other license plates;

A license plate saying 4WOMEN sounds like the sort of sleaziness you’d expect from a young rappers debut album.

Not sure about HEATHEN either, it’s a derogatory word.

1 Like

Depends. Like witch, it’s also a neopagan reclaiming-type word.

11 Likes

I’m totally aware of the reclaiming going on. And like the n-word, reclaiming makes the use of it a matter of context.

Not sure a license plate is the context that will make it work.

3 Likes

I knew a few folks back in the day who could totes rock it. But yeah, YMMV.

5 Likes

In discussion years ago about personal license plates, I said, “I would never get one.” Companion replied, “Why?” I explained, “Because if you’re running from the police, it makes it easier to find you.” As someone who now attends PTA meetings and goes to suburban neighborhood gatherings, I stand by this. Always.

18 Likes

Don’t see why not. With a license plate the context is clearly deliberately self-referential rather than directed at others.

8 Likes

FWIW, one’s vanity license plate seems to operate more as a self-identifier than as an epithet aimed at others.

A plate that read ASSHAT would generally come across as more admission than accusation, IMHO.

16 Likes

They are afraid she will put hex on them.

Different plate. “HEXONU” :smiley:

5 Likes

Or she’s the 8th Eist. Eism’s a thing, y’know.

3 Likes

how about 1ll11l1? or 8B8BB88? or O0OO0O0?

5 Likes

Those are all great if you want to get charged for other people’s tickets :open_mouth:

5 Likes

A clear reference to Nazi sympathisers; we all know what 88* means. The plate clearly means “Hitler’s Son”.
Still, freedom of speech…if you want to advertise your far-right views in NJ, that’s up to you.

*For the nice people that don’t, H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. So 88 (achtundachtzig) = HH = Heil Hitler.

5 Likes

Vanity plates have been described as “the middle class equivalent of a tattoo”. But now even the middle classes are getting them, I guess that’s obsolete.

Presumably a sense of humour, since Porsche’s are widely supposed to be dick substitutes for the less well endowed.
…before anybody on either side jumps in, the only reason I don’t have a Porsche is because my wife won’t let me.
But literally “pudenda” means things to be ashamed of (Romans have a lot to answer for). So I guess it would fit a Cayenne, but not an aircooled 911, of which nobody could possibly be ashamed.

8 Likes