Woman's $400k wedding ring found in 8 tons of garbage

There are people who will happily take all those rules of thumb about appropriate numbers of monthly salaries to heart just that everyone knows they can.

Coming from a wedding band culture I find it very strange.

2 Likes

“Hah, you think you got problems because your used Chevy got repossessed?! let me tell you about the time I lost a $400k wedding ring.”

7 Likes

It’s like a modern version of that Theseus myth! Or not.

2 Likes

Pretty sexist thing to say. Also, all this wealth-hate; one person’s $400,000 ring is someone else’s $4,000 ring. Different people have different priorities and choose to spend or invest their money differently. Doesn’t make them bad people. Sure we could get in to this “well they could have spent $400,000 on feeding the homeless” debate, but that could be applied to anyone who spent any amount on an engagement ring. Or anyone who spent any amount on anything, for that matter. And who’s to say they didn’t spend $400,000 on feeding the homeless as well?

This is the Internet, so I guess that means we get to make assumptions about people, and insult them based on those assumptions, or maybe just about their appearance or zip code. But what if we took a break from that for once, and just be happy for someone else instead of trying to tear them down?

6 Likes

Just a reminder everyone, diamonds are only rare and expensive because the De Beers people decided they should be and buys them all up to be strategically rationed out while running an elaborate advertising campaign that equates weddings and engagements with diamond rings.

11 Likes

Many Hospital radiation safety officers and radiation safety regulators have similar tales, except their prize for sifting through a truckload of garbage is usually a radioactive diaper; hyperthyroid-treatment cat litter; or something equally wonderful.

8 Likes

‘diver’ is what you could call ms Squitieri, her husband, or mr. Evans.

However, what the waste company did was divert the truck.

1 Like

No can do. They may have spent that much for the ring, but given the nature of the jewelry market, it’s not remotely worth that much, at least not in terms of what they can hope to get for it.

It’s frankly nuts to buy any sort of diamond jewelry - it’s not about beauty, as diamonds are indistinguishable from other, cheaper materials, and it’s not even about making an investment, because they’ll never be worth anything close to what you paid for them - it’s just about being able to say, “look at how much money I have to blow on useless shit!”

17 Likes

Working in the lab last week, my partner set a micro stirring rod ($50 with stocking fee) on a paper towel and during cleanup one of us threw it out. It took us about fifteen minutes of search the lab’s non-hazardous waste bin (and uncovering a fair quantity of stuff that shouldn’t be going out with the regular garbage) and finding it at the very bottom. Along the way we had to unwad every goddamn piece of paper towel we came across in a lab where people wash their hands regularly.

This guy found the ring in thirty minutes? Give him a fucking medal.

13 Likes

This story is a perfect illustration of why Eisenhower era top tax rates make sense. When people have to struggle to figure out how to spend their money, they have too much. What next, insulate the house with $100 bills?

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s what this woman did, too. Why do some women do this? I have a ring holder in the bedroom to put my rings. I mean couldn’t they just leave it on the counter without wrapping rings in tissue or paper towels?

4 Likes

I saw this on the morning news and there appears to be a disagreement about the total value. So they reported it as between $200,000 and $400,000.

But still, $200,000?

1 Like

True story: when I got engaged to my first husband, we bought the ring from a little jewelry shop in an antique village. The shop owner liked us a lot, particularly me, and as we got to know him better, he would bring out the good stuff from the back of his little store for me to admire and try. He actually was one of the top jewelers in the country, though you wouldn’t know it from the front of his store.

One day I come into the store and he pops a little bottle of champagne for me. I sit down and try on rock after rock, including a 5K diamond. It was like the one pictured - not really that pretty or clear, just big. It was fun to wear it for a few minutes but not something I’d be interested in owning ever.

He also did something so wonderful for me I will never forget it. He told me he wanted to lend me a necklace to wear for my wedding. Then he went into the safe and came out with the most gorgeous diamond and emerald necklace I could have dreamed of. It looked like something Princess Diana would wear. Yes. I wore it. And it was freakin’ amazing. That necklace, that I would want to own if I had the cash.

23 Likes

They have the advantage of the stuff advertising itself, if you can listen to it.

Dad shone through a 5+ inch brick wall when he got some isotopes (I think it was technetium).

…and why the worries about radioiodine cat litter? In couple weeks it’s gone. The short-term isotopes can be just waited out.

After Chernobyl, there was a lot of radioiodine contaminated milk spilled and wasted in the West. Russians kept it, dried it into powder, and then stored it for a while until the problem took care of itself.

4 Likes

That’s a really sweet story!

7 Likes

I assumed it was his daughter… oops

2 Likes

Yeah, this is part of why I decided I wanted tanzinite for the 7-year ring we decided to get. So much prettier than diamonds.

Also a ring holder by the sink, if you are someone who takes their ring off to wash dishes.

1 Like

My sense is, if you have to take your ring off every time you wash your hands or the dishes, it’s an occasional ring for dressy occasions only, not a forever ring. Tells me all I need to know about what is valued in the marriage.

3 Likes

They aren’t hated because they are bad people, they’re hated because hatred is free, unlike food.

I’m so hungry.

1 Like