Woman's 6-year battle with "Crohn's disease" was really a ketchup packet stuck in her intestine

Salt is harder than plastic. Using plastic teeth to grind salt is like building a coffee grinder that uses dried corn kernels as teeth.

12 Likes

Didn’t notice that (or rather didn’t know what the BMJ is). Good catch!

1 Like

On the flip side, you also have doctors who order tests because they can get extra money out of the insurance company for them, not necessarily because they think anything important might be revealed by them. Some choice.

2 Likes

Cui bono? As always, follow the money.

1 Like

The woman has no memory of eating a meal in which she used ketchup packets.

Sounds like a third packet is stuck her brain.

Wasn’t me! @hanni5 spotted that, and I hastily revised my post.

1 Like

Yes, please tell us all the meals you had, in detail, six years ago.

9 Likes

I imagine this discovery resulted in the most odd, mixed sense of relief. On the one hand, Yay! You don’t have Crohn’s disease!!! On the other hand, you suffered pretty needlessly for 6 years!

Favorite line on this thread:

Never quite thought of it that way, but I guess I do, too.

3 Likes

Who does that?!?

1 Like

I do!

Well, I do a safer version… I tear the corner open, leaving the little triangle attached. 9 out of 10 times it works.

I also suck all the non-squeezed-out ketchup out of the packet. So perhaps I’m not making good decisions.

5 Likes

I was referring to the swallowing of said corners

I’ve chewed my nails to the quick ever since I was a baby. I carry a prosthetic fingernail for things like opening stubborn packets.

Seriously, mostly what I use it for is what people with functional fingernails use theirs for. Scraping, scratching, opening things like plastic packets, picking at things.

1 Like

The case was published in 2013. She started having symptoms 6 years before (so 2007). By the time the case was published she had had multiple examinations and “scans”:

• colonoscopy + biopsy (2007)
  • oesophagogastroduodenoscopy (2007)
  • abdominal CT (2007)
  • colonoscopy + biopsy (2011)
  • abdominal MRI (2012)

None of those helped to diagnose the pieces of plastic. Can’t see a thing with an endoscopy if the thing isn’t in the bowel. Can’t see plastic on an x-ray or CT if the plastic is radiolucent. I don’t think any current imaging technologies in use could reliably find so little pieces of plastic. Especially without the foreknowledge of an ingested foreign body.

You can check here how different items look on normal x-ray and CT:

http://pdf.posterng.netkey.at/download/index.php?module=get_pdf_by_id&poster_id=40705

9 Likes

Hence the “accidentally.” Maybe she was talking to someone while doing it or really hungry and just started putting french fries or something in her mouth or was otherwise distracted.

That’s genuinely disturbing. But thanks for the breakdown and details.

2 Likes

This was my thought, too. After spending lots of time and money taking care of my teeth, there’s no way I’m going to risk damage by using them for something better handled with a knife, bottle opener, or some other kitchen tool.

:grin:

See above post; try harder ; -)

1 Like

Woman-on-woman packet-involved crimes and the earnest lover who holds back using condiment packets; American Raw Water contaminated with packets [I’m re-seeing the Amazon ad of smiling packets in an X-Ray setting,] and British Office Party contests to ‘best a straw’ following colleagues’ drinks having nonsense put in them; liposuction lunchbreak inter opera and lunchsuction oral limit break elastic ruption.

Now everything looks like erroneous unwinding of speculative execution!

Though, the article looks like lots of geegawing over MRI buttons (look, one for irate stuff) and little over how much granular mass they decided to alter.

Aliens

2 Likes