Women are flocking to Susan B Anthony's grave to cover it with "I Voted" stickers

So what? They’ve been able to vote since 1920.

What’s so special about this year?

1 Like

Well, I’m here.

Here’s the grave… or at least as best I can manage with the people around it.

And here’s part of the line.

33 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for going and taking pictures for us!

19 Likes

I’m not arguing against it. I just want to know if the caretakers of the cemetery are taking any measures to protect the stone from the accelerated erosion that I suspect would happen from removing the stickers.

It will undoubtedly take a whole lot of beak-sharpenings to wear it down to nothing, but if they can foresee damage from the stickers and protect against it, I don’t think that prevents the stone’s interaction with history, and it preserves the original monument to the love of someone now lost, which has its own significance.

1 Like

26 Likes

18 Likes

The derp is real.

14 Likes

First year a woman was a major party nominee for President. It only took 96 years, although the first woman on a major party ticket was Geraldine Ferraro in 1984. The first woman to receive an electoral vote was Tonie Nathan, the Libertarian VP nominee in 1972, who was also the first Jewish person to receive an electoral vote . That same year, Shirley Chisholm was the first woman and the first African-American to run for President as a major party candidate.

13 Likes

Nah, can’t be all that… /s

6 Likes
  1. Maybe people do it every year, it just got on the radar.

2. You may have notice it, but despite wearing pants and having short hair, Hillary is a woman.

15 Likes

Good one!

9 Likes

some people do it every two years…but I don’t think the crowds are normally this bad.

6 Likes

More pictures. Will upload the rest when I get home and have wifi

23 Likes

Yay!

Also… the trees are pretty! I love fall.

7 Likes

I asked, and, yes, they’ve spent the last week preparing the headstone; apparently it’s a yearly tradition that has three orders of magnitude more adherents this year. So they’ve dealt with it before and know how to maintain the stone.

Will be making separate post with pictures in a minute.

17 Likes

26 Likes

They actually take your sticker and give you one to put on the stone that won’t mark it.

Clever people there, they announced the late hours, early. Even providing lights for the overdue spectacle.

14 Likes

Bring us pictures?

5 Likes

Keep scrolling down :smiley:

7 Likes

That’s genius. I thought of something like a preservative coating, but specifically handing out stickers that won’t damage the headstone? That keeps both the message and the stone intact.

I like it.

12 Likes