Women are flocking to Susan B Anthony's grave to cover it with "I Voted" stickers

Better still, they can collect all those stickers, and preserve those too. Don’t know if they do, but they seem pretty on the ball from this armchair here.

8 Likes

I find it sad that Susan B. Anthony’s name has been co-opted by conservatives. Sad.

25 Likes

“My uncle still has MY nose.” - Homer J. Simpson

5 Likes

See what happens when you let women vote? Vandalism!

11 Likes

I doubt if that’s necessary. It’s once every 4 years, and it won’t have this kind off attention in the future. Besides, it appears that the prevalence of the “I Voted” sticker is waning.

2 Likes

You had good teachers who weren’t driven by the brainless Cult of Memorization to bend you into an empty jar designed to pack as many unintegrated facts as possible and hold on to two-thirds of them long enough to grind out a passing scanatron score so your school could get its funding.

Lurned up…lurned up real good.

Just kidding. From what I gather (and acknowledging that I don’t really grok the phrase because I don’t use it myself), highly educated is another way of saying you’re knowledgeable about many things beyond common skills expected of every adult in our society. While it’s obviously possible to gain knowledge outside of a classroom, I think the phrase is probably derived from, or at least related to, higher education, which fewer and fewer Americans can afford as tuitions relentlessly rise and wages stagnate.

That’s my best guess anyway.

Canadian public schools too?

Yes and no. Intelligence isn’t entirely innate. We get smarter as we learn.

Interestingly, Einstein was never really comfortable with advanced mathematics. Recognizing the limitation of his Special Theory of Relativity (that it describes a gravity-free universe), he spent years trying in vain to generalize the theory to explain curved spacetime without using more advanced math. This was in no small part because he and one of his most important math teachers, Hermann Minkowski, never got along very well. It took the help of his friend, mathematician Marcel Grossmann to teach him the differential geometry he needed, and to who he in turn taught physics, to realize that Minkowski’s own work was a big part of the puzzle Einstein needed to finish his theory. Meanwhile David Hilbert, arguably the greatest mathematician of the 20th century, practically tripped over the basic field equation before Einstein while juggling a number of other problems, though Einstein’s formulation of the theory was more elegant and Hilbert was the first to call it the Einstein field equation.

10 Likes

I like how so many people are wearing white today.

4 Likes

The gravestone is unimportant.

It’s the living memory of her ideals that are important.

If her gravestone collapses under the combined weight of a billion “I voted!” stickers placed by women it will be a good thing.

18 Likes

And that sheer laziness and apathy explains why no Brit is ever elected POTUS. Serves them right.

13 Likes

##ivoryTowerProblems

SRSLY, lady, you are smart, so smart and educated that you have become immune to it.

#BUT WE KNOW

And we see it’s effects on a regular basis.

12 Likes

Pfft.

The first 7 (plus #9) were all Brits. And if you’re not careful, you could end up with Boris Johnson.

10 Likes

And that is a good thing.

4 Likes

I reject your fact-based history and demand a congressional investigation.

10 Likes

12 Likes

I took AP American history in high school. It was a university level class. It was difficult for a lot of accellerated students because history is laid out in this format as the tapestry it is. I learned what caused the wars, what the ultimate result if the wars was, but not names, dates, or battles.

I rather prefer it this way.

9 Likes

FBI Director James Comey has breaking news that vaguely calls into question whether George Washington was born in the United States :scream:

He said they’ll have to re-double efforts to sift through all the Washington Papers before they can say more.

10 Likes

Apparently, George Washington was descended from Makems.

I want to know @GilbertWham’s opinion on this.

2 Likes

Wow, ask for trouble much without trying?

Alright, my friend and I finished uploading all of our pictures. To avoid spamming the thread and to save bandwidth, they’re all in a Google Drive folder here.

I took a video of the line before I left, which is directly viewable here.

14 Likes