Women in the Trump Administration make 69% of what men make

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/the-trump-administration-gender-pay-gap-is-69¢.html

3 Likes

Women make nearly 69 cents on the male $1

So the gap is in fact 31 cents, surely? Please fix headline @thomdunn

ETA to note that headline is now changed in post but not in comments. Weird! (@orenwolf )

18 Likes

[insert “I’m shocked!” meme here]

2 Likes

You’d think info like this would mean he would lose 100% of the female vote in the U.S. And yet…

7 Likes

“OK! OK! Hold it!
I just want to say something.
You know, for every dollar a man makes
A woman makes 63 cents.
Now, fifty years ago that was 62 cents.
So, with that kind of luck,
It’ll be the year 3, 888
Before we make a buck.”

• Laurie Anderson in 1989
15 Likes

I wonder what the relative impact of political appointees verses career staff has on this. I wonder if the difference is mostly due to management decisions or due to there being more turnover in women during this administration. I wonder what the pay gap for the Trump Organization is (if you exclude direct Trump relations) and how it compares. I wonder when we are going to get rid of this guy and everybody like him.

3 Likes

Ok, this makes me want to see this administration’s gender theft gap. That would require an accounting of all the misspent government funds, unnecessary expenditures, and private profits made at the public’s expense. Then we would have the whole picture, and countering the impression that folks working in this administration are only earning five or six-figure salaries:

12 Likes

Personally, I can’t believe Republican women even exist, but there’s a lot of Stockholm syndrome going on. There are even women who believe we should take the vote away from from women again. A lot of women out there don’t want actual control over their lives because their self esteems have been so crushed by the patriarchy. Then there are the usual religious types and so on who are just voting for abortion or guns. It’s all very disheartening.

16 Likes

It’s even worse than it seems - not only are women paid less, but their steeply discounted prices aren’t enticing enough to have an all women staff as the cold calculus of business would seemingly dictate.

2 Likes

Yes, but this doesn’t take into account all of the women he’s paying for their silence.

11 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

13 Likes

I was about to say…

the national gender pay gap of 82 cents on the dollar

So nationally women make 18 cents per male dollar?

Aren’t there some federal laws about equality. Can we please enforce them

Or even better, the gap is 31 percent.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be 18 cents on the dollar?

2 Likes

I mean, this is a little unfair. The hot ones get a “bonus” when the Trump foundation settles. Call it hazard pay.

ETA: Sarcasm… just in case.

1 Like

There are so many examples in prominent members of the GOP who dump their wives when they become older or ill that it amazes me they manage to convince any women to buy into the idea that it’s a man’s job to take care of them. The women who cede control explains generations of men who have no respect for women. Maybe part of it is resentment, because they set up a situation where they have to do twice as much work - at home and in their careers.

6 Likes

I’m disappointed that nobody’s made the obvious “Nice” joke that happens whenever someone says 69 on the internet

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything reciprocal about this situation.

6 Likes

Margaret Atwood understood this when she dreamed up Gilead. There are always some women who will be happy to serve as Aunts.

5 Likes

I remember reading about there being domestic violence from some Republican voting men if their wives even think about voting for the Democrats. Canvassers were told to leave the property by very scared (and not angry) looking women.

I don’t know where the article is though.

7 Likes