Women's Input, Comments and Rhetoric on the BBS

Sorry for the accidental derail. If this continues I’ll split the topic.

8 Likes

Cool. Appreciate it. I think it started on topic and went off on a tangent… happens to all of us sometimes.

mad-max-fury-max-thumbs-up

12 Likes

/s

18 Likes

17 Likes

20 Likes

Then can I hang out with you? Because I am at a point in life where I am sick and tired of guys who can’t handle women with opinions – or, hell, just pointing out realities they’d rather remain willfully blind to – trying to push us out of every space.

They can be the ones to move on, for once. Sorry the truth is so hard for you, boys. Actually, no the hell I’m not.

17 Likes

17 Likes

Edit: Served it’s purpose. :smiling_imp:

16 Likes

12 Likes

On the other hand, it is certainly illustrative: a thread about how women are dismissed, gaslighted and ignored on the BBS, and some people feel the need to shut up a woman for simply stating the truth. /reply to @DukeTrout

Y’know, folks, if hearing those truths makes you uncomfortable, then you need to ask yourself a question: Why?

Why is your first reaction to leap for a flag? Why #notallmen or “not me!” which draws forth the spectre of “methinks the [gentleman] doth protest to much.” “I don’t do that,” you cry, demanding we agree that your hands are indeed super-clean. If we demur, it’s once again “out, damn spot” and the flags get thrown to cover up the evidence you don’t want to see.

Because the truth is, if you’re not “that guy”, there’d be nothing in those truths to bother you.

In other words

21 Likes

The psychological projection is strong with some.

Initially, I wasn’t ‘off topic’ or in violation of the terms or code of conduct.

Then, when my comment was split into it’s own post, instead of being eaten by the mods, I was not in the wrong for editing it in order to “elaborate.”

That some people clearly don’t want to read my comments is irrelevant; that’s what the ignore feature is for. I wish more people would use the tools that we do have available to us.

Also, I see it needs to be stated outright.

Flagging me repeatedly won’t make me “shut up,” or ‘go away.’

26 Likes

Bravo, sir!

10 Likes

16 Likes

The BBS wouldn’t be what it is without your individual experiences, wisdom, depth of knowledge and humor. If you see me furiously liking every post you make but not saying saying anything, know it’s my attempt to talk less and listen more and I’m cheering you on because you are kicking ass and don’t need anyone’s help or distractions from the peanut gallery.

In short, thank you.

19 Likes

The truth is that they don’t want to ignore you, really they want no one to listen to you, because they believe that you (and outspoken women everywhere) are out of line. So that’s why flags are used instead of them putting you on ignore.

24 Likes

This. It’s not that they don’t want to listen, it’s that they want to shut us up. Keep us in line. Show us who’s boss. Ignore doesn’t do that, because we don’t know they’re ignoring us, and if we don’t know, how can we know they’re superior and have won?

21 Likes

I just want to point out…I have quite a few folks muted or ignored. I cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario in which I would do so to you.

Debate and discourse are how we learn from one another and become better people. Anyone seeking to shut you (or a number of others in this thread) are not seeking to be better; they are only seeking to display how superior they believe themselves to be.

Shame on them.

11 Likes

Agreed. For them is some zero-sum competition, rather than a collective need to better ourselves and our society via discourse.

13 Likes

I’m in the same position - those threads I’ve posted in have been overwhelmingly supportive, but perhaps that is connected to the timezone from which I post.

By the time I get to most threads, any brattygaters or Trumplestilts-kin have already received a stern dose of logic and been chased away.

EDIT: Also I just realised that my avatar looks male and I deliberately chose an unreal name - That might explain my different experience to the other women here.

7 Likes

It totally does; on other sites where I’ve used a gender neutral or masculine looking avatar/screen name I was treated much differently than I am when I make myself identifiable as a woman.

I often challenge my male friends to “take a walk in my shoes” by intentionally posing as female online, even briefly.

One who took me up on that dare was so astounded by the stark difference, that he started a blog about it.

28 Likes