Women's sports associations say handball chiefs should resign for bikini fine

9 Likes

I guess this just goes to show that most people were righties back then as well.

Imagine archery in this if you were a lefty…

1 Like

Not an entirely novel idea.

2 Likes

I don’t know, knowing men, they would probably volunteer to play with nothing but an ankle sock around their parts. If it rolled off they would prolly protest any stoppage of the game.

The flopping business would be good for a few internet meme laughs though.

Hmmmm. “Support” might be a bit scarce, actually.

2 Likes

Actually, a tight fitting bikini, compared to baggy shorts… the floppage would definitely be higher in the latter. (most likely, they currently wear some sort of supportive underclothing currently to make up for for it.

1 Like

And they probably wouldn’t get much coverage…

2 Likes

If historical precedents are to be invoked, I suppose we should start here…

… and then figure out how to make it safe and respectful for all competitors of all genders to compete in the nude. I realize this is far from likely to happen. As an inhabitant of a nation with a passel of Puritans among its founders, this “back to the original Greek Olympic Games” is going to be an uphill battle.

Sigh.

At least I don’t have to wonder how safe naked wrestling must have been, back in antiquity. Ouch!

7 Likes

In an inherently sexist and misogynistic society?

Pfffft.

8 Likes

“shorts and eventual accessories”

Eventual? Why not now?

1 Like

Imagine all the people living life in peace… :musical_note:
You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one… :musical_note:

2 Likes

I am not sure exhibitionist tendencies are more common among men, I am very certain most societies view it very differently though. Coyness and modesty are regarded as mostly female , while brashness and sexual prowess are male after all. Male exhibitionism in sport is pretty much expected.

The problem is not that people(…) should or should not wear revealing clothing while sporting, the problem is that when they make it clear they don’t want to nobody should force them! It is that whole consent thing again.

Norway is actually not a prudish or puritan country, but they do care about consent. Weird how these things are often found together :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s all about opening up the sport to more of the world. Norway has much colder beaches than Brasil.

The Canadian CBC coverage was wall-to-wall Woman’s beach volley-ball coverage during the day. I don’t know if they ever covered classic Olympic events like high jumps, gymnastics, etc.

1 Like

Beach handball isn’t an Olympic sport. This happened a week or two before the Olympics. Otherwise you’re quite right.

4 Likes

just change all of society’s attitudes to nudity? Not a problem! Easy as pie! and since we’ll have some time in the afternoon, we can just knock out skin colour in time for martinis.

1 Like

This entire thread and no one used the term “banana hammock”.
Is it because Cory’s no longer here? Just look at it. :banana:

Absolutely! I glad at least one person understood - really didn’t think it could be interpretted any other way

2 Likes

Did you actually read my comment or just react? I thought the choice of photo was poor because it was of a bikini wearing team and that it was a crass attempt by the story creator to generate more attention through that photo. I was objecting to it not wanting titillation.

And bonus, we likely wouldn’t have to deal with NBC’s stranglehold on broadcasting the games anymore here in the US. Prudes. :wink:

2 Likes