Workers rights and unions

I have been interested for a while in how workers in ancient Rome made a living. What sparked my interest was this:

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to reading this today, U.S. Labor Day.

10 Likes
9 Likes

It looks like pols were raising awareness about the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act today:

A Blue wave in November would make it more likely for this to finally make it through Congress.

Election Voting GIF by INTO ACTION

10 Likes
8 Likes

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Shocked Futurama GIF

I’m glad it didn’t work, and I hope workers continue to bring their lunch and GTFO of town ASAP at the end of their working hours. The sooner TPTB figure out that forcing workers back into the office isn’t going to yield the results they want, the better.

4 Likes

GTFOO center city. City workers have to live in Philadelphia.

Except cops. Maybe firefighters now too.

5 Likes

What’s the legal basis for this nonsense?

2 Likes

No idea. But lots of municipalities require this.

2 Likes

There can be all kinds of requirements for any given job. The idea is that the police and firefighters will feel a greater commitment to doing their jobs if they and their families are residents of that community.

2 Likes

I get that. But that’s not a legal basis for telling people where they can and where they can’t live.

1 Like

monsieurenjlolras
you’ve heard of “quiet quitting,” now I’d like to introduce you to the next level, The French Work Ethic:

• Do exactly what you’re paid for and nothing more
  • Absolutely refuse to be available to contact when you’re off the clock
  • Never prioritize work over your own health, wellbeing, or family because that would be insane, it’s just a job.
  • Have a little glass of wine
  • Take as long as you feel like for lunch
  • Deeply understand that work doesn’t matter
  • Make sure your boss knows they’re always your second priority :heart:

artemis-aro

• If a company refuses to give you what you deserve, kidnap (bossnap) the ceo
  • If the government tries to fuck workers over, go on strike, but because you’re doing it the French way, it’s closer to a riot
  • Generally know that workers have a lot of power, especially if they stand together

hedgehog-moss

#that first link reminded me that i once had an english oral exam (with a british teacher) that revolved around #reading a recent guardian article about bossnappings in france and debating whether or not #french workers kidnapping their employers was acceptable #and teen-me was like well our national opinion polls are in favour ! #:joy: thanks for reminding me of this great moment

Edited to fix a buncha stuff :slight_smile:

7 Likes
6 Likes

Source

2 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

Hold On Wow GIF by Bounce

8 Likes

In the 90s I ended up due to circumstances staying for a couple days in a camp for an army of firefighters in northwest montana, and from that experience and other sources
1- pay at the time was pretty good
2- a significant portion were native americans

for whatever that’s worth, it’s a shame pay hasn’t kept up. They worked their asses off, left before dawn, came back as it got dark, scarffed down a couple steaks and a couple potatoes each slept and did it again the next day. Made a big impression on me.

6 Likes

I’d wager many of the Native American firefighters were high schoolers too. At my wife’s reservation firefighting was a common summer activity.

8 Likes

I’m hoping they fix that, just as they have been eliminating barriers for people trained while incarcerated (too often for very little pay):

6 Likes