World Politics

Here is some follow-up on this story:

And here is my problem with First Thought again… this story originated with the Wall street journal, US officials deny the story, but this is an example of US fear-mongering? It sounds like to me, it’s a case of the WSJ fear-mongering (a paper owned by Rupert Murdoch, who isn’t exactly reliable in terms of pesky things like facts), and the US government is dismissing the reports out of hand… :woman_shrugging: So, it’s a bit disingenuous to say that this is US fear-mongering, I’d argue. Is there a problem with that, with regards to China and how they’re discussed in US politics - sure. But this doesn’t seem like a case where that’s happening here. From what I can see about the Biden administration, they are trying to both get back to a better relationship with China, but also trying to shore up their alliances with countries that have (some legitimate) concerns about China projecting it’s power in the region.

Much like with how they cover Russia, US can both be an imperial power, and both Russia and China can also be imperial powers of their own. It’s just not accurate to portray Russia and China as innocent in how world events are unfolding, as only reactive to the US. Nor are they some sort of communist state anymore. They are all part of the capitalist world economy, too. Of course they have their own agendas, part of which is certainly displacing the US as the hegemonic power. It just seems to me that ANYONE trying to be the hegemonic power in the world should be considered somewhat threatening to world peace and some actual human stability.

6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/14/netanyahu-judicial-overhaul-knesset-vote-backfire?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=user%2FAxiosNews

The results of the vote dealt an embarrassing defeat to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition and the supporters of the government’s plan to weaken the Supreme Court and other democratic institutions.

8 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

7 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Politics

Blinken’s China Trip Yields Best Possible Result: More Talks

• China, US agree to resume talking but few specifics appear

• More visits to come but military contacts still lacking

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-20/blinken-s-china-trip-achieves-best-possible-outcome-more-talks?leadSource=uverify%20wall

https://archive.ph/LBB21

Blinken said the trip had achieved its goal because the two sides had restored some senior-level communications. President Xi Jinping pronounced the progress “very good,” warm words from a taciturn leader who held off confirming a meeting with Blinken — the highest-level US official to visit Beijing in five years — until the last minute.

7 Likes

There’s a lot to fix in world diplomacy. Almost like TFG wasn’t really making our nation great after all.

8 Likes
4 Likes

It only took 50 years to admit it:

3 Likes

We really need a :face_vomiting: reply.

5 Likes