World Politics

9 Likes
6 Likes

Not “Türkiya will drop opposition”, “Erdoğan will drop”.

Which immediately raises the question: what did they offer Erdoğan? Not Türkiya: Erdoğan, personally.

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Well there’s that and also the Realpolitik that NATO membership and EU membership aren’t related. Since Turkey was last pursuing EU membership the accession process has changed radically. Now they do things like in Macedonia (which is a long, long way from membership) where they made the judges show how they legally gained their assets or retire. A very significant portion chose to retire. This set of governance, corruption, and robust democratic institutions requirements are in place as the EU rushed too many during that “end of history” phase and is regretting at leisure.

Türkiye is not joining. Not with Erdogan in power.

7 Likes

Also not while Austria keeps on trying to veto the process every chance it gets.

1 Like

I didn’t think they had seriously engaged in years. I mean other than talk about it publicly.

4 Likes

Right enough- with Erdogan in power in Turkey, they’ve steadily moved away from wanting to be part of Europe, into a much more dangerous Neo-ottomanist position, which combined with his policies on pushing islam, are all just dismantling any vestige of Attaturk’s project to modernise Turkey and turn it westwards.

3 Likes

The EU should be fine accommodating a Muslim majority country. Should of course, I don’t think it is, on large part because invading Muslim countries is a foreign policy for many of the countries. Mind you that doesn’t seem to stop Turkey in NATO… but they really haven’t been engaging as the democracy, human rights, governance and corruption aren’t really things they want to do the work on. Plus they have so many geopolitical fish to fry…

4 Likes

The powers that be in Thailand are making it quite clear that you can vote for who you want, but the coup is permanent.

3 Likes

Kinda reminds me of what Sun Tzu said about all warfare being political. Sounds like Bibi remembers that too with how he was kinda accusing or implying outside forces using spyware. Treating the corruption legal dramas like another form of warfare.

3 Likes

Putin is running out of friends.

5 Likes

Clausewitz?

“War is not merely a political act but a real political instrument, a continuation of political intercourse, a carrying out of the same by other means.”

6 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes