World Politics

5 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

The first 6 words of the headline had me worried for a moment there.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Russia continues to bleed smart people out of their country

Alekseenko was among the 44 Russian chess players who signed the Anti-War letter protesting the invasion of Ukraine. Asked how important that was for the transfer, Stöttinger says:

“We very much appreciate that of course, but even without signing the letter of the 44 it would have been clear from multiple conversations with Kirill, that he is not supporting any harm to anybody, never and nowhere,” Stöttinger says.

Russian chess has suffered several blows since the invasion of Ukraine, with dozens of key players fleeing the country. Last month Chess.com covered former European champion GM Alexander Motylev’s move to Romania. GM Alexandra Kosteniuk, one of the strongest women players in history switched to represent Switzerland in March.

4 Likes
1 Like

https://archive.ph/5IT7c

3 Likes

An education system that’s over reliant on rote memorization designed for training folks for technical work which could be replaced by ai/automation over the next 10 years (at home and abroad) that also actively stamps out individuality in a country that’s run by engineers in the top leadership with no sociology/anthropology studies requirement who have also went way out of their way to ban fun things that young people enjoy. What can go catastrophically wrong?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve been told that’s good, and that the humanities and soft sciences and luxuries that aren’t important… Are you telling me… there are CONSEQUENCES to not understanding how human beings exist in the world? /s

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

8 Likes
2 Likes

So, not the first time/crime, but she was free to do it again?

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

7 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like