World Politics

1 Like
3 Likes

These structures are all from the Dayton Accords…

:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes
1 Like

BBC News - Army officers say they are taking power in Gabon

2 Likes

Okay… isn’t this like… the third coup in so many weeks in Africa? :thinking: WTF is going on, exactly?

4 Likes

In the past it used to be some external thing…

2 Likes

It probably still is. Shit’s still post-colonial and Africa is still awash in resources craved by the global north. Could it be a new scramble for Africa? :thinking:

3 Likes

Finnish Medical Association: Government’s plans to deny undocumented migrants non-urgent care ”irresponsible”

4 Likes
2 Likes

That’s my take, based on the news coverage in France. There’s a combination of anti-colonial (specifically anti-French) sentiment, combined with China and Russia working on education/indoctrination of young people, Russia’s support for military coups, and the interest in both countries to expand projects involving natural resources/trade:

I’m still not sure what’s happening in terms of immigration/migration, but high unemployment seems to be an issue among people under 30 in too many countries.

8 Likes
3 Likes

ETA

Even Mr. Lula is trying to get more influence on Africa.

4 Likes

The A(ustralian)BC did a thing on this recently

Summary: Niger is increasingly pissed off that its reward for “independence” is that France is doing it the favour of keeping most of its treasury in France, tied its currency to France’s, and is taking all Niger’s uranium to keep it safe in French reactors.

6 Likes

ETA

ETA4

ETA2

ETA3

8 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

That reminds me… After the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, when the discussion started whether the 1980 Olympic games in Moscow should be boycotted, there was this joke that a boycott wouldn’t be necessary because the Soviet Union cancelled the games on their own accord because the team the People’s Republic of China had nominated for the small arms competitions was to be 5000000 athletes strong.

1 Like
2 Likes