World Politics

Steven Seagal GIF

2 Likes

Giro Latino-americano. Latino Tour.

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Good news, I guess. The way the news was framing this was that Milei was a shoe in! Also, that Milei has crazy hair and is like Trump and young argentines love him! :woman_shrugging:

Do you think Massa can get together enough votes to defeat Milei in the run-off? I guess an economy minister isn’t exactly exciting as a candidate, but it seems like maybe given some of the economic problems plaguing the country, he might be a good technocrat to deal with things like inflation?

2 Likes

I know almost nothing about Argentine politics, I just know that they are much more complicated than us and have been mired in economic and political crises since the 1970s.

One thing I noticed is that here in South America and in other parts of the world, outsider, anti-political candidates who promise to fight against everything that is wrong are becoming more common and gaining more prominence every day.

As the situation in Latin America is not good, it is easy to garner votes by appealing to people’s discontent. It does not need real proposals, realistic plans or social reforms. Just shout slogans, scare voters and choose 2 or three real or imaginary enemies and with good marketing advice, an election can be won.

4 Likes

Oh, good! It’s not just me, then! :grimacing:

Yeah, it’s certainly a global problem for sure.

Let’s hope our Argentine friends learn from our previous mistakes (in the US with Trump and in your country with Bolsonaro) aren’t subjected to some of the problems caused by these kinds of figures… both up here and in your country, we’ve suffered a lot because of these types of politicians and people who support them, and let’s hope that people are finally turning away from these assholes who just want to burn shit down and line their pockets… Fascism and authoritarianism didn’t work out well the first time in the 30s, and it’s not going to help now.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Bojo, as much as everyone would like to…

5 Likes
2 Likes

Populism… Leading to authoritarism…

So do I. But I think it is the very first time an “outsider” managed to get so far in the neighboring country. I have read some articles in the national press that say that no matter who wins the elections, changes and reforms will have to be made in Argentina. The problem is that the government leaders had all the chances and didn’t take any and Mr. Milei seems to want to take the craziest ones possible.

If he wins, even members of his party said there is no way to implement his radical agenda and to make matters worse, he has no support network in the legislative branch and the judiciary is still independent.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Many analysts have speculated that Wagenknecht’s unique political position — left-wing on economic issues, but closer to the far-right on issues like immigration and gender diversity — could pose a threat to the recently surging AfD.

They go into greater detail on her stance on Ukraine (opposed to sending arms), but what has she said on immigration and gender? That’s kind of vague. Is she just generally anti-immigrant and anti-LGBQT+ rights or throwing out TER talking points? Or has that become a core part of her ideology… how close to AFD is she on these issues…

Either way, seems like it’s not a great development.

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

That ship is called Newnew Polar Bear.

5 Likes

tenor

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

They know that we know that they know that we know they’re spying on us.

4 Likes
3 Likes