World Politics

Here’s hoping for a resounding double Yes.

7 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

5 Likes

Well, that hasn’t worked.

4 Likes

Yeah. The wording was hardly worth coming out for. They failed to do the basics: have draft legislation so people could see what the impact would be and make them clearly suitable for judicial use to enforce rights. The only people who really got worked up about them were the crazies. Not much to offer for anyone else.

The second amendment on carers people kept on mentioning a carers group endorsed it. I didn’t know them among all the disability support activists and groups I know. Turns out they were the government quango and all stay at home carers so actually missing the fucking point that every other activist is concerned with.

Ironically the attorney general’s legal advice was leaked during the campaigning moratorium and it was the most convincing legal argument for yes, and one the government failed to set out.

On the other hand Tory Boy Varadkar did go on the telly last week and utterly undermine the concept they were trying to sell.

Learnings: actually deliver on what the citizen’s assembly recommends rather than water it down to homeopathic level. Don’t forget how to run a referendum and how the wording of a referendum needs to be enforceable and have clear implementation on the table.

6 Likes

Some more analysis here…

Baby Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Well, on the bright side, at least there’s less risk of a translation screwup accidentally outlawing traditional families.

/lolsob

3 Likes

Not do enough to convince, or actually not do enough?

Because from where I’m standing it’s the second. They failed to make a clear improvement in any sense other than optics. I voted yes yes because even that is something.

Barely.

6 Likes

Haiti’s unelected prime minister reportedly resigns

8 Likes

About fucking time.

4 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like

who cares family guy GIF

6 Likes

Böö

2 Likes