Season 1 Smh GIF by BET Plus

6 Likes

Iran election: ‘We need to be decisive for our country’s future’

1 Like

Pakistan’s ‘King of Chaos’ Imran Khan keeps winning even behind bars

4 Likes

Coup time?

3 Likes

It’s Pakistan. If it isn’t time for a coup now, then wait five minutes.

3 Likes

Wait, there were STILL RAF folks on the run?!?

1 Like

Not first generation. They came to it when it was already pretty much over IIRC.

As an aside there’s a Christian Petzold film I really recommend about an old RAF family long on the run.

I think it might have been a TV film so it’s quite short.

2 Likes

Ah! Thanks!

1 Like
8 Likes

Not sure if I agree with all their arguing here.

Also, I’m not sure what I think about their filming choices, either, with her standing against a plain background and going back and forth between angles from head on to from her side?

3 Likes

I think the video has a lot of good points, well made. However, it’s clear that there is a real and obvious need for collective defence against military aggression. Their good point is that there also needs to be some way of defending against American military aggression.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve always thought that getting into the Cold War itself was not just a byproduct American aggression. Mutual distrust on both sides drove bad faith acts, such as the near immediate rhetoric out of Churchill and Truman after the war (Iron curtain and containment), and Stalin working behind the scenes to install loyalists across what became the Eastern Bloc… there was a reason why Tito got kicked out of Cominform, and it was because he had some real reservations about Stalin’s plans for the Balkans (which he and the partisans had just spent some real bloody years securing with not nearly as much support from the Red Army as further north saw). Given how much of a true believer Tito was, that was something. I sort of felt like she was conflating the second and third world as the third world/non-aligned movement wasn’t just a reaction to western interventionism, but to Soviet interventionism as well.

There are plenty of things you can criticize the US for, including their various belicose actions during the Cold War, which certainly led to our modern round of destabilization. But the Soviets were not passive actor here. Before we broke Afghanistan, they did their part to fuck it up… same with Angola, for that matter.

5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Excited American Horror Story GIF by AHS

Not a problem for stability in the region, I’m sure… Not like any other problems are happening there right now… :rage:

1 Like
5 Likes