World Politics

4 Likes

:thinking:

[ETA]

3 Likes

In São Paulo, city councilors approved a bill that punishes with heavy fines whoever give food to the many homelessness who live in the streets of the largest Brazilian City.Councilors demand that in order to distribute food to the homeless, people and NGOs must request various authorizations from City Hall, present a list with the names of all members of the NGOs, present various documents, register and maintain an updated list with the names of all people who are living on the streets and have received a meal, in addition to cleaning the places where food is distributed and having the approval of the health authorities each time they deliver food.

[Câmara de SP aprova em 1ª votação projeto que prevê multa de R$ 17 mil a quem doar comida a moradores de rua; entenda | São Paulo | G1 (globo.com)]

5 Likes
6 Likes

ETA

[French elections: ‘The disaster of the Brexit years foreshadows what could await France after July 7’ (lemonde.fr)]

[‘I saw the hatred caused by Brexit – now I fear France will be the same’ (msn.com)]

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/i-saw-the-hatred-caused-by-brexit-now-i-fear-france-will-be-the-same/ar-BB1p9C6L?ocid=BingNewsSerp

[France elections 2024: Far-right National Rally leads first round of snap polls | AP News]

8 Likes

[Bolivian president orchestrated a ‘self-coup,’ political rival Evo Morales claims - ABC News (go.com)]

4 Likes

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/07/01/south-korea-gender-divide-feminism-00155207

2 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

[Trending - The American pushing Russian disinformation - BBC Sounds]

Released On: 29 Jun 2024

Available for over a year

The websites have names like DC Weekly and Chicago Crier. They are filled with thousands of legitimate-looking stories, plucked from real news websites and rewritten by artificial intelligence. But BBC Trending has found that these sites are part of a wide-ranging influence operation designed to insert false stories into political debates, over Ukraine and now gradually shifting to the US election campaign. One of the people involved in the operation is John Dougan, a former Florida police officer now living in Moscow. Online evidence links him to the network of sites, many of which reference American cities and are populated by fake journalists – their photos swiped from other websites across the internet. The network is only one of a series of Russian disinformation operations which experts believe is part of a wide effort to influence American public opinion in advance of November’s presidential election. Presenter: Mike Wendling Reporter: Shayan Sardarizadeh Additional reporting: Olga Robinson and Paul Myers Producer: Olivia Lang Editor: Flora Carmichael

2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

To make it clear, this isn’t some circumlocution for “becoming de facto partners” or “entering a relationship” or anything. In French it’s clearly “Them and me will have to live under the same roof, so I’m writing my name on my stuff in the fridge and putting a lock on my bedroom door. I may have to live with them, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them or trust them.”

7 Likes

Huh. I sort of assumed it meant “sleeping with the enemy” here.

4 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes