World Politics

8 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

I am so fucking nervous about this. Brexit and Trump have taught me not to take a victory of the sensible for granted. And the fallout for us in Europe would probably be worse than either of those two.

9 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61151604

Voter turnout was lower than the last time Macron and Le Pen faced each other in the second round just five years ago as they present two significantly different visions for France’s future.

Abstention was estimated by Ipsos to be at around 28% nationally, which if confirmed would be the highest since 1969.

Macron re-elected French president, projections show French President Emmanuel Macron has been re-elected with 58% of the vote, according to projections.

13 Likes

season 9 squid defense GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

13 Likes
6 Likes

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

3 Likes

2nd source, just to be safe:

Not as decisive as I had hoped:
Incumbent president took 58.2% of the vote ahead of Marine Le Pen’s 41.8%
and
Voter abstention nears record high at 28%
isn’t good either.

But still: no fascist présidente for you, France!

13 Likes

Oh well, time to break out my comment from five years ago:

7 Likes

Even then, you have to consider how many folks would not have voted if not to save democracy this one time. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes
3 Likes

28%. So apparently almost a third of the electorate doesn’t care either way.

9 Likes

A 16 1/2 % margin of victory is quite decisive. Especially when people were talking about him losing just last week. I mean - I’d have preferred a 100% margin- but given the circumstances.

11 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes

I guess, though in the U.S., that would be a huge “landslide” victory.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Meanwhile the Australian election generates a new number one on iTunes/Apple Music

A reflection on the moment the PM bought a lump of coal into the Parliament and praised it.

Edited for spelling🙄

4 Likes