World Politics

6 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Surprise, surprise…

Capped at a 1% a year pay increase in the face of 8% inflation, and worked to the bone, resigning is basically what Ontario :canada:'s nurses are doing. There’s lots of blah blah about accrediting foreign-trained nurses, but I’m not sure where our Provincial government thinks there’s this magic supply of well rested, well trained, competent, yet somehow more brutally underpaid nurses willing to move here to get s**t upon by Doug Ford.

I may be wrong, maybe :finland:'s nurses will decide Ontario’s lower pay and crushing conditions look good after all. Maybe not…

Edit: Although Finnish is spoken in Thunder Bay, Ontario :canada: :thinking:

9 Likes

I think Finnish nurses usually go to Norway.

10 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Far-right party sacks candidate for Hitler praise out loud where everyone could hear

More likely.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Women have been at the forefront of escalating protests in Iran sparked by the death in custody of a woman detained for breaking hijab laws.

Crowds cheered when women burned their hijabs on a bonfire in Sari on Tuesday, as the unrest continued for a fifth night and spread to more cities.

Activists said two male protesters were shot dead by security forces in Urmia and Piranshahr, in the north-west.

A police assistant was also reportedly killed in Shiraz, in the south.

At least six people are now believed to have been killed since protests against the hijab laws and the morality police erupted after the death of Mahsa Amini.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Impact of healthcare staffing shortages

Nurses’ personal accounts are featured in the national daily Helsingin Sanomat(siirryt toiseen palveluun) regarding the ongoing staffing shortages in the Finnish healthcare sector.

Four nurses working in the Helsinki University Hospital District (HUS) were interviewed by the paper about incidents at work related to the prevailing situation.

Although the editors know the nurses’ identities, their accounts are told anonymously.

“I waited in the ward for three hours with a seriously ill patient to go into surgery. The stitches from his previous major operation had failed and he had internal bleeding in his abdomen. I was afraid the patient was going to die, and he was afraid he was going to die,” a nurse who has worked at HUS for six years told the paper.

Meanwhile, a midwife told HS that during the summer, 12 midwives left and recruiting replacements had proven difficult, adding that the staff shortage could endanger mothers and babies. She told the paper that sometimes, potentially serious incidents could only be avoided through pure luck.

An operating theatre nurse at HUS reported that operations were cancelled daily. “Every weekday, between one to four operating theatres are closed because of a shortage of skilled nurses in our department.” She added that around 60 nursing positions remain unfilled in her department.

Veli-Matti Ulander,HUS’ Chief Medical Officer, acknowledged to HS that nurses are shorthanded. The daily incidents reported by the nurses were also not disputed by Ulander. According to him, the situation also varies by unit.

5 Likes

I’m sure people are going to respond reasonably and rationally to this news:

11 Likes

Probably would have happened sooner had it not been for decades of emigration

7 Likes

Out of curiosity, what’s the immigrant worker situation there? Could folks from other countries have an easy path to employment in the healthcare industry?

4 Likes

Gee, it’s almost like someone probably planned that… But couldn’t be? /s

Anyways… 2024 is gonna be a year, according to Star Trek…

:grimacing:

10 Likes

According to Tehy (union of health and social care professionals in Finland) “Just over 2% of all health care professionals who are employed in Finland have an immigration background.”

Once I had Ingrian Finn as doctor but beyond that I don’t remember having any interactions with immigrants in medical settings.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I really hope that this does real damage to the regime, and that the revolutionary forces that were unleashed during the revolution and then co-opted by Khomeini are once again released. I’d hate for the people of Iran to have to go from a autocracy to a theocracy and back to an autocracy again.

12 Likes