'World’s worst cat' up for adoption

"Turns out she’s just a jerk.”
In other words, a cat.
Pictured, this asshole…

6 Likes

We got our kitty at 3 years old at a shelter, which she had been at for a few weeks, because of her disposition. She was generally prickly, verging on hostile, and she didn’t get along well with other animals. This apparently made her unadoptable. But the prospect of a one-kitty house worked fine for us. I think she had a rough adolescence, because she’s really calmed down and become quite affectionate in the last couple years. She still prefers to set her own terms for interaction, lashing out when you don’t pet her quite right, but I love our kitty. Perhaps Perdita will have a similar outcome.

9 Likes

This story sure has been getting a lot of circulation. The cat doesn’t even look particularly sinister.

In contrast:

If i recall that particular cat had some kind of hormonal problem that caused aggression, which could be treated with medication and behavioral training. However from reading the article the cat was kicked by one of the family’s kids so he would likely do best in a household with no kids.

Edit: Bingo, i remembered correctly

Lux was diagnosed as suffering from feline hyperesthesia syndrome, a complex condition that may sometimes cause a cat to lash out with outbursts of violent behavior.

3 Likes

My first rescue cat had been at the shelter for around 9 months as an ex-feral. He wasn’t aggressive, but more unresponsive to socialization. I went and handled him at the shelter a few times before taking the risk on him. He wouldn’t fight or resist, just lay frozen in my arms. So I took him home, where he hid behind the toilet for a couple of weeks. I’d drag him out, handle him, offer treats, etc, and he’d go back behind the toilet. Eventually, he graduated to under the couch. “Ok, so this is what it’s gonna be - Under-the-couch-cat.” Finally, he came out on his own and hung out with me. The first time he purred was a pretty big deal. He became very affectionate, greeting me at the door, begging from table, etc. So yeah - maybe jerk cat just needs to find her people…

And just because no one has posted Pinky’s adoption video yet:

6 Likes

Seconded.

I believe I am my cat Tasha’s first “people” home. Her feral habits are pronounced, chewing on plastic containers in the belief that they contain food, etc.
It took her a while to adjust because she was an older adult, but now she’s a total lap-cat.

3 Likes

In my experience, some cats just seem to like chewing on plastic things like lids (maybe as a stress response thing, or just to get attention). It’s no less obnoxious, though.

2 Likes

As long as its not cables. My mom’s previous cat got mildly zapped when he decided he had to chew on the xmas lights, but before that he got in trouble a few times for chewing on various cables. Thankfully the one electric shock finally broke him of the habit.

2 Likes

to be fair five fingers are on their belly.

One of my cats is obsessed with chewing on plastic things like cables and plastic lids. I think she has some anxiety issues and does this to work out stress sometimes, others I think it’s just to be an asshole and get our attention. Needless to say any exposed cables that we have are now wrapped in plastic protectors that she’s generally not interested in. (We tried the citrus flavored stuff but that doesn’t phase her… the jerk.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.