Wouldn't it be cool if Dune was an animated series?

Dune is unique? Are you familiar with the White Savior trope? Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia?

Dune’s a remix, dude.

Some of Dune’s fans appear to feel that while stories like Dune are rich, they aren’t rich enough for any external interpretation.

1 Like

You’re forgetting the 80s movie, which was not “fucked up” (though it didn’t adhere to the book).

So you’ve never seen the mini-series, I take it?

2 Likes

I like Lynch and e’ything, he for sure came closest out of the bunch but, still, he didn’t really go far enough. He maybe couldn’t within budget constraints but it’s not arcane enough by a long stretch.

1 Like

I dunno. I showed it to my 19 year old daughter, who had never seen it, about a month ago and her reaction was basically “WTF was that shit?!?!”

1 Like

It stands on its own as a testament to Lynch’s imagination, that I don’t dispute. But I think that same imagination got in there and fucked up a lot of the substantially important ideas for the sake of brevity.

I still live in hope that the 6 hour DC version turns up some day.

1 Like

You mean the one nominated for a Hugo?

1 Like

Both good points. I’ve always assumed Paul was white. I need to re-read it and see whether that’s projection. But even if he isn’t explicitly white, he occupies a white/imperialist/aristoricatic/privileged position within the narrative. I agree with the parallels between Dune and other stories, although I would observe that Lawrence of Arabia is not a fictional character, although one who was fictionalised.

I don’t have a problem with people interpreting Dune; I’ve enjoyed all the interpretations. They have all been failures, though. Lynch’s film in particular is easy to analyse; it contained too much superfluous additional stuff (weirding units, heart plugs) which had no narrative value or even undermined the original idea from the novel, to be enjoyable for those familiar with Dune, and was pretty much completely unintelligible to those who aren’t familiar with the novel.

Not even for the sake of brevity - all the weirding units do is turn the phrase ‘my name is a killing word’ into something to be taken completely literally.

(Note that this has not prevented me from attempting to train my 17-month-old to say “Muuuuaaaad DIB!”)

2 Likes

She’s using telepathy!

No.

No she’s not.

1 Like

It’s just my opinion, man.

2 Likes

The same Hugo awards that Vox Day/Scott Beale and John Wright were nominated for? Nomination is not always a guarantee of quality. Actually winning might be.

I’ll just say there are some really awesome pieces to the movie. Where David Lynch gets to do his freaky Lynchy stuff with the Harkonnens. The fact that the Atriedes are also pretty much Nazis, just nicer Nazis.

And the vagina faced Navigator.

But the Special Effects needed more skill. The story is difficult to get viewers to take seriously, and Lynch just isn’t a SciFi Action movie kind of director.

It was better than it might have been.

Hell, the movie was nominated for an Oscar.

1 Like

Don’t look at me. I love all things Dune. I own them all.

I would be very happy for a SciFi movie to fully embrace Chris Foss as the designer. His hypercolour spaceships.

2 Likes

Did you know he did the ones in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Ahh. Nice. That movie did have rather pretty Space Opera stuff going on.
Edit: I just did a little GIS. Yeah I can see it.

You could still share that opinion and not be an insulting ass about it. But as we can see with your immature responses you aren’t ever going to grow up.

Would you say that you’re disappointed in Boing Boing?

1 Like