Writer asks for an exclusive trademark on the use of the word "dark" in "Series of fiction works, namely, novels and books"

They can have the word “Dank”. I’d be ok with that.

7 Likes

Dank Prince
Dank Challenge
Dank Night

I am 400% more likely to read these than the originals

11 Likes

I’ve trademarked “extremely intelligent” to block future Rick & Morty releases. You’re welcome

2 Likes

Stephen King should trademark “it.”

and “iT” for that matter.

1 Like

“Dark” is a great word to repeat over and over until you disassociate its meaning and it starts to sound funny.

1 Like

Clearly she needs help, as stringing three words together in a title seems difficult for her. Let me see if I can help:

Dark Power PC
Dark Cloud Computing
Dark Night without Power
Dark Closet Dust-bunnies
Dark Times New Roman
Dark Chocolate Cake Surprise
Dark Coffee, No Cream
Dark Trip to the Corner Store to Buy a Thesaurus

These books write themselves!

1 Like

Don’t insult Dr Tingle like that.

2 Likes

Combined with the idea that if your trademark or patent is too daft, you lose that and all you’ve filed before or after.

2 Likes

With the one thing her books have that others don’t? Her name on the front.

2 Likes

I find intellectual property law really interesting, and I’m considering going into that specialty when I finish law school, but if I have to help shitheels like this file paperwork for ridiculous and unenforceable trademarks, copyrights, or patents, I’ll quit and go back to work at Walmart as a stocker.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I like dark chocolate. Its even healthy.

2 Likes

Assuming that too is not a pen name market-tested to “fit in” the genre (and remind readers of other writers)…

1 Like

That’s not unusual in the writing business. Some authors use different names for different types of work-- one name for the paranormal sagas, another variation for historicals, and yet another for more mainstream romances. That “one cool branding trick” lets you know what to expect when you pick that author’s book off the shelf. It can be confusing, but it seems to work well enough, especially when an writer starts working in a completely different genre than the one they established themselves in (say, romance vs. futuristic sci-fi/mystery… like Nora Roberts does when she publishes under J. D. Robb.)

7 Likes

brb, trademarking “darker” and “darkest”.

5 Likes

Or Seanan McGuire (Urban fantasy) versus Mira Grant (Horror). Same person, but it makes it easier for fans to get the genre they want versus having to guess each time a non-series novel appears.

ETA: let’s not forget cases where a publisher might “own” a name. The author then needs to buy the rights back (a la Richard Bachman) and/or change names if they go somewhere else.

6 Likes

Exactly! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve already trademarked “mоist” and any string of two or more black rectangles.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was my little joke, alluding to that practice - in a case where someone is using all the generic genre signs (plot, cover art, book titles), even the author name wouldn’t quite distinguish a given series, necessarily. (But in this case, it looks like she writes under her own name, at least.)

2 Likes

A company that’s registered Trademark is APPLE.