Writer asks for an exclusive trademark on the use of the word "dark" in "Series of fiction works, namely, novels and books"

The Prince of the Dank Chamber
The Dank Chambers of My Heart
Dankness Reigns
Absolute Dank

4 Likes

“Seems nobody wants to hang out in a dank pit no more.”

3 Likes

Somehow, I think a Chuck Tingle title would take care of this foolishness.
Instead of trying for limitations on the use of a word in titles, why not work on making your writing so good that people remember it without any prompting?

1 Like

The brand seems to have mostly faded away, but whenever I see the word “Juicy” across the butt of a pair of sweatpants, I really want to replace it with “■■■■■”.

1 Like

I didn’t get the reference until I posted my other comment. (Testing, testing, 1-2-3)

■■■■■, rich chocolate cake
■■■■■ towelettes
Moisturizer
Moisten

First I’d heard of this particular censor. What’s up with that?

1 Like

It’s a standing joke on the BBS, started by @beschizza (I think). The rationale is that some delicate souls find the word offensive or suggestive, so it’s blacked out.

Now that I have trademarked it, as well as the word “great”, I am using the word in my new book series, retelling some well-known works of literature.

■■■■■ Expectations
The ■■■■■ Gatsby
Peter the ■■■■■: His Life and World
The ■■■■■ Adventure Catholic Bible

“The history of the world is but the biography of ■■■■■ men”
– Thomas Carlyle

4 Likes

I think what’s slightly problematic in the original article is the idea that the previous author that tried this tack was doing so as a way to take down scammers. The courts and key industry groups seem to have formed a different opinion.

It’s possible that some people impacted in that process were unsavory, but the reality is that it had enough of an impact on romance authors as a whole that two industry advocacy groups - The Author’s Guild and Romance Writer’s of America - fought it in court and won. See: https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/authors-guild-rwa-prevail-court-defending-authors-cocky-trademark-dispute/

As stated above, IP overreach and its potential for weaponization as a competitive tactic within publishing - especially against writers that may not have the resources to fight this - can slow things down or throw up enough roadblocks to end careers. And that should be really concerning to anyone that’s in publishing or publishing-related fields.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.