WSJ: Jeffrey Epstein threatened Bill Gates over affair with Russian bridge player

Originally published at: WSJ: Jeffrey Epstein threatened Bill Gates over affair with Russian bridge player | Boing Boing

7 Likes

If he tried to do it to Gates he succeeded in doing it to others.

And how many super rich can you blackmail until you motivate one (or three) with the connections necessary to eliminate someone? (“Ya know, that tin-foil hat suits you” The secret is wearing it at a rakish angle [touch brim])

4 Likes

Unless someone is stupid enough to blackmail people with direct ties to organized crime, the answer apparently is “lots of them”.

Finding hired goons who are both 1) effective at their job of murdering people for hire and 2) not willing to rat out their bosses if they get caught, is very difficult without the kind of infrastructure of intimidation that organized criminals have.

Plus its not the affair would have made much impact considering since it was between 2 consenting adults. Pretty ho-hum for a news cycle.

11 Likes

My brother worked a case where two very, very rich dudes were in a very silly property dispute where one decided to hire hit men. The would be hit men went to the other rich guy and asked for more money not to kill him and to kill the other guy. As I heard it, they made a very tidy sum bouncing between the two asking for more money and never did the hit.

14 Likes

5 Likes

he succeeded in doing it to others.

To wit:

7 Likes

Epstein blackmailed Mr Gates in the form of an email in 2017 after he failed to convince the world’s fourth richest man to join a multibillion-dollar charity fund that he attempted to set up with JPMorgan Chase.

This charity fund was the alternative to his hedge fund blackmail scheme. He knew that not all of his marks could be caught on video having sex with kids, but he still wanted their money to bolster his image as a billionaire and philanthropist.

The Kushners?

10 Likes

Since discovered I’ve found this image and taped interlude one of the most disgusting and menacing ever.

6 Likes

Yep, and unsurprisingly, a large number of “hitmen” are just cops waiting to arrest whoever hired them.

Reminds me of this story on the hitmen who were caught after trying to subcontract for cheap and pocket the difference. Hesitant hitmen jailed over botched assassination in China

8 Likes

It’s almost like associating with lowlife scum isn’t a smart idea.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

11 Likes

Nope. But I’m not sure if the case ever went to court or how public the information ended up being, so I’m afraid I’m staying mum. The people involved weren’t in the US. Private island kind of rich idiots.

4 Likes

I mean, that’s the thing. I get skeeved out by people at the grocery store sometimes. I don’t get how low some people’s bar is for letting people into their lives. If I had a mountain of assets or influence, I’d be extremely guarded.

Probably why I don’t have a mountain of assets.

4 Likes

IME rich people think they are being cautious and end up insulating themselves a lot from what ultimately turns out to mostly be consequences and thus the upper bounds of the system are discovered…

7 Likes

My wife and I know a very high-up executive who worked with Les Wexner (see article here Inside Jeffrey Epstein’s Bond With Leslie Wexner, the Victoria’s Secret Billionaire | Vanity Fair). We asked him what on Earth was the deal with that relationship? He said he didn’t know but believed it was blackmail. shrug I have to say, that would have to be some blackmail, given the amount of money involved.

4 Likes

Didn’t they make a film along those lines?

4 Likes

“Tonight, Mr Gates, Epstein is experiencing the Blue Screen of Death.”

4 Likes

a few of them in fact

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.