WSJ: Ken Jennings' nasty Tweets cost him the Jeopardy job

I’m sure it’s not easy. You need to be personable, have a quick wit to respond to the ever-different contestants in a way that feels engaging and pander to the audience.

Generally good advice. Every potential employer is checking your social media history. Count on it. You’re going to have a lot of fun in an interview someday.

"So, Mr. Johnson, I see you graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard and Oxford at the same time, have 37 patents, and have a personal letter from Tom Hanks certifying you as, and I quote, “The best man I have ever known.”. With that, we’re considering bringing you on, but I would like to ask you about something we were made aware of. It seems that you posted to something called “Neopets BBS” as “Jubjub4lif3” and said “y’all just gels at my Kau going all MAcy Gray while you’re rockin ur lamea$$ Kyrii, roflcopter”.

Could you explain this for us?

2 Likes

Jesus falcon crest

just get an anime holographic character to do it

fuck, you’re gonna have to be one to have a job soon

The C section quote was:

“There are those among us who believe that if the baby can’t survive a home labor, it is OK for it to pass peacefully," she writes. “I do not subscribe to this, but I know that some feel that…if a baby cannot make it through birth, it is not favored evolutionarily.”

I mean there are some Boingers among us who believe in punching as a way to convert Nazis, but that doesn’t mean I do.

AntiVax is not an appropriate label for her either. She has explicitly said that she is not antiVax, and has promoted COVID vaccine. She says her kids are now vaccinated, although not with all the shots that some get.

Just as there is a difference between penetrative rape and inappropriate joking, let’s not lump the vaccine reluctant with the vaccine enemies.

2 Likes

I’ve seen many of those skits*, and I disagree. It’s not too much different from Jaywalking or other people-on-the-street-for-laughs segments, IMHO. I’d watch Mercer on a host trial-run, it would be interesting.

*As a Detroiter, we used to get over-the-air Windsor TV broadcasts during the show’s run. I found it hilarious, and I didn’t take it personally.

1 Like

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Agreed.

I’m 65 and I’ve lived in several regions of the US (oh so cosmopolitan!) My observation that the first term was “woo woo” – meaning not just wacky, but into spiritual or paranormal stuff outside conventional beliefs. I alway assumed it came from people imitating ghosts.

After a couple of decades, at least, of “woo woo” I began to see it shortened to “woo.”

YMMV.

3 Likes

The pope has a similar problem trying to find priests that aren’t pedos or on Grinder.

Bring back another game show, but change the name to Truth and Consequences.

1 Like

As someone who would not have an SO or either of our lovely children without emergency C sections, I say fuck anyone who even pretends that “some” are anything other than stupid fucking assholes who should stay the fuck away from any aspect of the medical establishment. Saying that “some” people have horrible, ignorant, and deadly beliefs without immediately ripping those belief to shreds is a weak attempt to disseminate bullshit without taking accountability for it.

You know who else likes to use the “some people say” cop out to disseminate horrible misinformation? Donald Fucking Jaundiced Pustule on the Taint of Humanity Trump! So no, she can fuck off already. Her evolutionary disadvantage is a delusion that celebrity and a degree in neuroscience somehow confer expertise in epidemiology, vaccines, evolutionary biology, tact, or good taste when they very much do not.

2 Likes

You would think that, but so far…not so good.

My suggestion for a host has an impeccable social media history, won a few rounds of Jeopardy, and will do exactly what is asked of him. Oh, and he’ll most likely never die of anything.

That host: IBM Watson.

(If LeVar Burton isn’t available, that is.)

1 Like

The thread is way ahead of you

3 Likes

Isn’t Harvey infamous for insisting his employees don’t look him in the eye? And for saying some pretty demeaning stuff about women? I’m afraid he’s likely just as out as Bialik and the heretofore unknown producer.

5 Likes

Well shoot. I hope this sort of careless posting without reading won’t affect my job as the guy who renamed the Cleveland baseball team…

4 Likes

Hopefully sarcasm was involved there. The Gong Show was basically lowbrow proto reality-TV and led the way for such horrible nonsense like American Idol.

Steve Harvey is not only dumb as a fuckin’ brick, he’s also bigoted and misogynistic.

10 Likes

And now . . .

14 Likes