WWII living legend finally given the honors he deserves

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/14/wwii-living-legend-finally-giv.html

6 Likes

“We need Ph.Ds that can win a bar fight.”

oh-my-takei

6 Likes

worked for the Overseas Strategic Service (OSS)

Correction: should be Office of Strategic Services.

Thanks for this story. These days it’s nice to see someone getting honoured by the U.S. government for fighting fascists.

7 Likes

Is it OK if they only win against other Ph. Ds? In that case there must be at least one suitable candidate.

3 Likes

Good work, keep digging!

2 Likes

I can’t decide how I should feel about this guy and his award. I mean, yeah good guys and all that, but if he was involved in any way with https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip then it gets a lot more complicated.

There’s a good reason spies don’t get parades. If the public knew their accomplishments, we wouldn’t be as supportive of their goals. Since it’s been collectively decided that WW2 was “the good war”, I suppose it’s too late to bring up any bad behavior on the part of the allies.

I’m sure glad we taught those fascists a lesson, not sure it was the right one.

4 Likes

Of course the timing of a CIA-precursor being awarded for good deeds can’t possibly be related to the CIA’s latest mis-deeds being dragged back into the limelight.

5 Likes

Ph.Ds that can win fights:

3 Likes

Higgins: You served with Col. Donovan in the OSS, didn’t you, sir?

Mr. Wabash: I sailed the Adriatic with a movie star at the helm. It doesn’t seem like much of a war now, but it was. I go even further back than that. Ten years after The Great War, as we used to call it. Before we knew enough to number them.

Higgins: You miss that kind of action, sir?

Mr. Wabash: No, I miss that kind of clarity.

2 Likes

"Well, I actually trust a few people. That’s a problem.” ~ Robert Redford as Joe Turner in Three Days of the Condor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.