Xenophobic UK politician ranting about "political correctness" gets a public spanking from an historian

I can’t wait for BB’s first piece about Marie of Romania, when I get to reveal that I am in fact Marie of Romania.

5 Likes

So… let… down…

I think it’s more like:

1. Jerk complains about black people getting jobs
  2. Educated person retorts, “You are a moron” with some evidence

I would have thought we could safely say there is a difference between making assumptions about a person based on the colour of their skin vs. making assumptions about a person based on a political party they have freely chosen to affiliate themselves with. You know, sort of like it is fair game to be a “bigot” against people who have stabbed you in the past - judging people for their actions and choices.

I agree there is a “logical fallacy” in the sense that it is actually a fallacy to say that because someone’s evidence is flawed or their argument is flawed they are wrong. You can’t do that in logic. But that’s a misreading of what happened here. The historian isn’t claiming that Anjou had dark skin or light skin. The historian is claiming that the politician in question can’t tell fantasy from reality when it comes to source material for making claims.

To use my argument above in response to @Mister44, if (2) is meant as a refutation of one in a logic class, then it would indeed be fallacious. If (2) is meant as a statement on its own then it appears to be well founded.

If you want to go a little deeper though, the unstated claim from the politician is that it really matters if we have historical accuracy. I think the retort, “You can’t tell historical accuracy from a hole in the ground” is a valid criticism of that point.

21 Likes

Well if we’re going full blown pedantic, we should also be complaining about historical movies about non-english civilizations being performed with a British accent. Furthermore, the British accent is somewhat recent… anything further than the 1800 was spoken and pronounced differently. But these are things that i don’t particularly care to have represented on screen, though if someone went through the trouble of properly doing it i wouldn’t mind.

Also these arguments remind me of the No True Scotsman fallacy.

4 Likes

Almost as important is that a filmed version of a Shakespeare play is meant to be considered as a play. A theatrical work with all the artifice of that medium, which happens to be broadcast.

Casting regardless of the race of the character has been a regular thing in theater for quite some time. Unless the play specifically addresses racial issues, the majority of non-idiots and non-racists shrug it off and look towards the performance itself.

Plus there is the pretension that Shakespeare plays have a universal appeal, so playing around with the physical characteristics of the cast, setting… is considered artistic license for a producer.

4 Likes

British accent? That only exists in Hollywood. Old Hollywood in general had Americans with what I think are Briitsh accents to indicate poshness.

But there is no such thing as a British accent in Britain.

2 Likes

That is actually a near codified Hollywood convention. In American productions of ancient cultures, the usual convention is that Americans play the beleaguered types and Brits play their evil overlords. Of course exceptions abound and there is a special “Charlton Heston doesn’t count” clause

I’m very clear minded. I don’t throw rocks at immigrants, protest at the existence of muslims in the UK or protest at being a foreigner in my own land. I have a great many friends who are immigrants and/or muslims. I speak three foreign languages and have a Dutch goddaughter. I don’t collect BME friends like trophies to show how “progressive” I am, I get on with pretty much anyone because I’m not an arsehole. In fact, this week I was educating some knuckledraggers on Facebook who were slagging off muslims and one of Sikh friends chimed in with a “leave it, they’re not worth it” comment. Of course, you wouldn’t know this because you don’t know be but your bigotry leads you to make false assumptions.

[quote=“Mangochin, post:64, topic:78330”]
irregardless[/quote]
Not a word.

1 Like

Fixed that mein Grammarfuhrer!

1 Like

Racism is the belief that your own race is naturally superior to that of another. So if you’re going to throw around the “r” word firstly learn what the word means and secondly, let’s have some examples.

You changed the part I quoted. Bye.

No, the assumptions are based on the fact that you are voluntarily a member of a party of, by, and for bigots. It could sometimes be incorrect, but it’s not bigoted to judge a person by their voluntary associations. It’s wonderful that you know a few languages and do some of those thing you do, but by voluntarily associating with a near fascist organization you’re doing something worthy only of scorn.

10 Likes

I demand they remake Les Misérables with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, and Russell Crowe singing their parts in perfect period French!

Actually, no. Get rid of the singing. People didn’t really sing dialogue back then! Okay, you can keep “Do You Hear the People Sing,” as the rebels probably had some sort of anthemic songs.

Oh, and get rid of that Valjean character. I’ve looked up the records, and no such person existed in that time period.

8 Likes

Actually, I double checked, and it seems that it’s maybe a word after all. Weird word, if you ask me, with its double-negative treated as a negative.

3 Likes

Thanks for that little bit of effort. :slight_smile:

Because english is only described not prescribed, if english speakers collectively decide they want to say irregardless then it’s an english word, irregardless of how dumb it sounds.

(unrelated)
This seems like basically the same debate/war that we periodically have about video games, where one person proclaims that having black people and/or women fighters in a medieval setting would be historically inaccurate, and everyone else responds “Oh noes! historical inaccuracy in a video game that has magic and dragons! whatever will we do!?”

4 Likes

I’m a former Labour voter. I’ve never voted Tory in my life and I wouldn’t describe myself as right wing. The EU Convention on Human Rights entered into force via the Human Rights Act 1998 and the EU Working Time Directive entered into force with the Working Time Regulations 1998. Both of them - like all the other rights and privileges the pro-EU camp falsely attribute to the EU - will continue to be in force after we leave the EU because it’s domestic legislation. If I was you I’d be more worried about the fact that the unelected EU can take all those rights and privileges away from you and there’s nothing you can do about it rather than the prospects of the Tories taking them off you and being punished at the ballot box.

Racism is also about structures meant to privilege one group of people, who “belong” to one particular “race”, other others. Race is a social construct and not just about hating people with different skin than you.

11 Likes

Oh, you know what? I for sure only quoted the first half of Brainspore’s statement, as I did not think the follow-on, this…

…could possibly be in dispute.

With apologies for my thickness, here is the whole quote :

Now, can you explain the Logical Fallacy you mean? Because the full quote is also full of irrefutable fact.

2 Likes

That’s nice.

What do you think of your fellow party members who have insulted me on numerous occasions because I do not share their views? I have even had one former member tell me I should be sectioned because I am not heterosexual and cisgender (she was in Ukip at the time and for a good while after the incident).

8 Likes