Yale history professor Timothy Snyder predicts the horrific aftermath of a Trump coup in 2024

To be fair, his is more razor thin than hers… she can lose at least a couple and still get shit through, while he can lose exactly none. It’s a different situation and I’m not sure it’s fair to compare the two.

I’d argue today is the day to read it, but I can understand not wanting to. But we really do need to pay attention here, or shit will really go belly up.

And Puerto Rico, if they’ll have us.

16 Likes

Fuckin’ A;

Add more states and PACK THE FUCKING COURTS.

31 Likes

If that’s what it takes to save shit, I’m all for it.

14 Likes

That was the joke. I’ll add a /s tag.

ETA: Oh, there was one. My bad.

I’m being mostly facetious, but I think you could make a fair argument that him winning the election and being legally installed may result in less overall violence and chaos than a loss which could very well usher in a complete collapse of Constitutional control. Yeah, he did tremendous damage to the institution in 4 years, but the institution still exists. I’m not sure that would be true with a loss.

1 Like

They will not with 4 more years. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

They will! and so would DC.

Honestly, this should be an easy layup compared to packing SCOTUS or even election reform. Except…

6 Likes

You forgot the (/s) on this. Trump winning will end democracy as surely and effectively as if 1/6 had succeeded. And for the same reasons. No, this is not true.

15 Likes

Another possibility is litigation and the Supreme Court.

But I think we are in for violence no matter what happens, because the various militia-types are just itchy for violence and have been for some time.

Our best hope is Trump doesn’t run again, either due to his lawsuits or “health issues” (wink wink), or because he doesn’t think being president again offers enough financial incentive (I still don’t think he initially wanted to be president, he wanted to lose and turn that into some kind of money-making engine for his brand.)

10 Likes

26 Likes

characters GIF

8 Likes

An earlier reply and its thread was removed, but it was important. It related to one poster’s schadenfreude re this scenario. The whole Rest Of the World would be affected badly, Canada and Mexico first.

8 Likes

This would be extraordinarily bad for business and the world economy.

3 Likes

Sure. That’s the important part.

8 Likes

Crap. My NFT hedge fund is in the shitter.

11 Likes

I hate the argument that the Democrats are bad at passing legislation. It seems to always ignore that there’s a big asshole standing in the way. Like “they could just change things if they weren’t incompetent!”… no they could change things if they didn’t have a 300lb toddler who only knows how to say “NO!” doing everything they can to block them purely out of spite.

9 Likes

institutions arent an ends. they are means.

me? no. i literally have no idea how i’d make that argument outside of debate club.

the estimate a year ago was his failures cost more than 450,000 lives. i have no doubt he’s ready and willing to cause more death and misery. and if he ever does make it back in power, don’t expect him or his family to ever give it back.

7 Likes

They’re actually pretty good at it. The problem is that the Dem establishment is unwilling to acknowledge that the party they used to horse trade with to get bills passed is no longer acting in anything remotely resembling good faith.

18 Likes

A few years back I had a GF who had been a child in St. Petersburgh when the wall came down. And shortly after the wall came down I happened to meet a group of Russian students from Novosibirsk. They all told the same story - there were food shortages and shortages of other goods. My GF is still traumatised by the experience.

Reagan had promised Gorbachev that money would be made available (from the World Bank I think) to allow the CCCP to transition to a Scandinavian style democracy but that money didn’t materialise, most likely because any money that was supplied just went to the newly emerging Kleptocrats.

If you lived in a state owned house or apartment, that was signed over to you and if you worked in a factory or whatever, a fair share of that also became yours. Which was a pretty cool idea. However there were shortages of food and basic goods, and the ruble became worthless and many people sold their homes and their shares in whatever their former business was for a fraction of their actual value, just to buy food or to try and get out of the country. That was one of the practical ways the transfer of wealth from the masses to the Klept occurred. I know there were also massive corruption.

I’m sure @Mindysan33 you know infinitely more about this than I do, but I thought you might be interested in what were to me, first hand accounts.

As for the situation in the US, my thoughts are that the the various Police forces make up a robust and existing structure by which the various militias might be coordinated. If push comes to shove, no one knows which way the actual military will jump, but my guess is that the senior people will stay loyal to common sense, but many of the actual fighters would likely jump ship. I think that something that looks like a civil war is definitely within the realm of possibility.

Sorry about being a downer…

28 Likes

It can’t happen here? It is happening here and we are not paying attention, the real shit hasn’t hit the fan yet, but it will.

30 Likes

Mitch Mcconnell GIF by GIPHY News

Just to be clear, since I am OFTEN misunderstand by some here, I’m not saying that the Democrats, especially the leadership is above criticism. We MUST and should criticize them, of course. But they have done more than the 4 years of the Trump presidency that has had a positive influence directly on the American people’s lives. Do they need to do more? YES. Have they done nothing? That’s just not true.

Yeah, it was crazy, from what I understand. I don’t blame her for being traumatized. I hope she’s better now.

Yep, and that’s what opened up the possibility of the current situation. Naomi Klein discusses this in her book Shock Doctrine. Now they are coming for the US.

All that was most certainly engineered, I’d argue.

I am! Thanks!

I’d like to think I do, but there is a minority of people in the military with right wing sympathies. I don’t think it’s a majority, but there is some, and that’s a real problem.

Not your fault that we’re where we are in the world…

20 Likes