Yale rescinds Bill Cosby's honorary degree

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/yale-rescinds-bill-cosbys-ho.html

4 Likes

Maybe they could replace it with a dishonorary degree.

10 Likes

Only now are they rescinding it?

8 Likes

convictions have consequences.

I don’t need a conviction to know i want nothing to do with Bill Cosby. And apparently so did the University of Connecticut

The University of Connecticut did likewise in 2016;

5 Likes

Now about that Presidential Medal of Freedom …

5 Likes

Cosby’s medal in particular has never been so presidential as it is with this administration.

4 Likes

To be fair, people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Though, of course, in some cases … war criminals like George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and whoever ran Guantanamo, should die penniless in jail.

2 Likes

Slow news day?

In this case do they though? It’s really very hard for me to think of anything sillier and less worthy of note than honorary degrees.

“We’re taking back our phony baloney honor that didn’t mean anything to begin with. Take that!”

1 Like

Again, I don’t need a conviction to know Cosby is a scumbag and morally bankrupt. Additionally the majority of the women abused by him will never get justice in court.

3 Likes

Whelp, there goes his cushy job after graduation

1 Like

So did my alma mater, Central State; our communications center used to be named after Cosby, because he & his wife were big donors to the school. But they changed the name and rescinded his honorary degree back in 2015.

5 Likes

atlantic’s headline may explain why it waited so long.

2 Likes

That’s just the standard of law. There’s no requirements for others to confirm to this.

5 Likes

Not as private individuals, no. But if you’re in any kind of authority or hiring or firing position, you should. Or you might end up with egg on your face like Peter Jackson, because you believed a smear campaign:

There are good reasons for upholding the presumption of innocence. The imbalance of class justice, with perpetrators who can afford court cases and expensive lawyers and victims who can’t should be dealt with in other ways.

2 Likes

While one can hope, it looks unlikely that Cosby will die in prison.

1 Like

Institutional fig-leafing bothers me.

Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein were fêted (or fetid if you prefer) for their accomplishments, even though their behavior was an open secret in the entertainment industry. It’s entirely plausible to me that institutions like Yale knew of the rumors, chose to ignore them, and gave out the awards all the same. Now that Cosby has been unmasked, Yale and other institutions want to “signal that they’re taking the issue of sexual abuse on campus seriously” by rescinding those awards. Fine. Take his degrees, remove his name, close the barn door. If Yale wants to do something more substantive than “signal”, they could focus on keeping the MeToo dialogue going in classrooms; hire more women, award more women tenure, change the culture. Or they can continue trying to cover their shame with leaves while pointing at the Goodyear blimp and hoping we’ll all look away.

4 Likes

Cosby did legitimately earn his EdD degree from the University of Massachusetts in 1977, for whatever that’s worth. So wherever he ends up after sentencing he’ll still be Dr. William H. Cosby, Jr., convicted rapist.

1 Like
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.