Yaphet Kotto turned down the role of Jean-Luc Picard

She was so great in Anne of 1000 days!

2 Likes

The beard is officially a major entry in Tvtropes.org as a shorthand for a series getting better over time

MANDATORY WARNING, following a tvtropes.org rabbit hole is addictive and time consuming.

7 Likes

Yeah, from what I hear, TNG could have been a whole lot different if they’d stuck to the original casting.

Actually, I love to see Terry Crews play… anyone, really.

9 Likes

14 Likes

That’s a weak-ass focale he’s wearing. How is he supposed to command respect with a limp rag like that around his neck? Give it some zhuzh, man!

4 Likes

I could see him as Data, but not Geordi. He was 218cm, how would he fit in a Jefferies tube?

8 Likes

Magenta didn’t seem to mind

7 Likes

Kotto would have been excellent.
Here is a thing though.
He is physically imposing, I wonder how that would have changed the character.

3 Likes

And most importantly, he rides Arabian horses expertly and carries his saddle on a spaceship

6 Likes

Crews for ALL the roles!

5 Likes

Sorry, my mind wandered while reading that to thinking about Obama’s resent return to the cast of “That Shit Show”; but. yeah, Picard is a great character. I even enjoyed him in his recent eponymous show; which, I found, over all a bit uneven, but worth the effort.

1 Like

Some men were just born to shave.

I, on the other hand, went from looking like a tubby Ian Gillan, to looking like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now, but with less flattering lighting.

5 Likes

Yeah, I look like a thumb with a collar. No thanks.

2 Likes

Well, it’s fun to think “what if”, but I just can’t imagine him not being Patrick Stewart after all these years.

2 Likes

Burying the lede here by not mentioning that we could have had several years of Bunty Bailey on the bridge.

2 Likes

Bunty Bailey? Man, how did I miss that piece of hot gossip?!

1 Like

Waittaminnut - Georgi LaForge…?

Prove me wrong.

edit: wow they really are referring to him. I had no idea he was ever an actor, other than guest spots as himself here and there

4 Likes

And Wesley Snipes as Geordi…

7 Likes

I remember watching I Claudius, and thinking “Where have I heard that voice before?”

4 Likes

For me its the dialogue that comes up short.

2 Likes