Yet another Boba Fett trailer adds mere seconds of the retcon'd buffoon

Way to be a Debbie Downer :confused:

If someone told me there was already lore made up explaining this, I would not doubt them. Wait a minute, hold on…I thought it might be in Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley, but it was not. (Surprised, the RPG books were steeped in lore.)

But get this - there was a character in there called MACE WINDU!!!??? This book was made in 1993. He is listed as a Squib trader. Hmm - looking into it, it looks like the name was mentioned before by Lucas, they ran with name in the guide, and the Jedi came later. (See below)

Anyway - that is some of the fun of the lore and larger universe and behind the scenes. I don’t consider myself a huge fan of the EU. I did enjoy the comics for a awhile. I know others who were invested in the books and what not. I did love the Knights of the Old Republic and Forced Unleashed games (I still need to finish the other SW games i have on my PS4!)

Yeah, if you’re not a huge fan it can be EXHAUSTING with all the nuanced bit characters that keep showing up here and there. Or the expanded universe lore that took a throw away line and later had a full story fleshed out about it. (Have you heard about the tragedy of Darth Plaugis?)

Everyone needs a hobby.

I don’t know. Maybe the real downer is idolizing a Kapo?

3 Likes

Story of my life, baby.

4 Likes

Um. I dunno if I’d use the word “idolize”. It is a fictional character in a fictional universe. Drawing such dubious connection between real world things to a romanticized foil for the heroes is… dubious.

In general I loved all of the 80s villains - Skeletor, Megatron, Soundwave, Cobra Commander, The Baroness, Storm Shadow, Mumra, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Venger and Tiamat (I mean come on! Look at her!) Etc etc. Partly probably because they tended to code them in colors of blues and purples and darker colors (a hold over from comics.), which were my favorite colors. They were always more visually interesting, and my brain reacts to bright colors and visually interesting things. The villains on Batman The Animated Series were all way more interesting that Batman. Especially Mark Hammil’s Joker. (Ok, that was early 90s, but still)

At any rate, just because I enjoy a character who is a villain, or a “bad guy”, doesn’t mean I want them to be something in real life. I don’t want psycho murders, power crazed narcissists, madmen seeking power for power sake, authoritarian dictators, or hired mercenaries who follow money and glory to be real world things. They are meant to be fantasies. An obstacle for the hero to overcome. A foil.

The character in the films was supposed to be a mystery - an unknown danger that threatened the heroes. And he was for ESB. And he was for a little bit in RotJ, until the above mentioned debacle.

The character didn’t stay in the movies. He lived on in the minds of the people who played with the toys, read the Marvel comics, and read through the same ESB story book over and over. Pouring over the pictures. Leafing through the movie tie in magazine your cousin lets you look at, but you don’t have. Etc. etc.

From there, new creators brought him back in comics and books and I honestly don’t know all of the back story there (not that it matters, as most of it was ret-conned). And even though the rumors were always that he some how survived, but actually brought back in the flesh - by the original actor for the person he was cloned from. Fantastic. Both a wish fulfillment and a worry that they won’t do a good job.

I have no idea if the new show will be good or not. It looks like he is an anti-hero. Maybe a Breaking Bad sort of thing where you end up rooting for someone, even though they are not a hero by any means. Or maybe it is an example of a story with a lot of grey. People rarely can be accurately sorted and labeled. At any rate, I doubt the story will be wholly unique, as it will sit on the shoulders of all the Star Wars lore and myths before it, as well as past media. Probably more space western like The Mandalorian, but maybe they will take it a new direction.

Guess we will find out.

1 Like

Okay. In either case - that’s between you and your avatar. But we can agree that he’s a Kapo?

3 Likes

How hard is that with those magical tracking fobs? (Apparently their range is merely planetary, even so.)

1 Like

What is your definition of a “Kapo”? My understanding of the word doesn’t fit, which is a prisoner who gets special privileges for policing other inmates (originally, specifically in Nazi concentration and work camps). Is there a more recent use of the word that more broadly encompasses any person in service of the state?

For the criminal element one could consider him an enforcer.

For the authoritarian government of “The Empire” element one could consider him a mercenary or hired/private law enforcement.

As far as the plot requires it. Though that is a relatively new device in Star Wars, I believe.

I should hope, otherwise in Empire Strikes Back, when Vader was sending out scores of Imperial probe droids, he could have attached a few fobs to each probe for the top rebel leaders. Even if the probes didn’t find the rebel base, they could report when rebel leaders came and went.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/34b74051-96e8-4887-88d3-5312fcddeeab

Thank you General Obvious.

1 Like

I am sure they had trackers of some type. Like the Falcon from the Death Star to Yavin had a tracker on it (which they said must have been why they were let go, but instead of going to some back water, having it removed, and then go to Yavin, they B-Lined it there.)

It isn’t clear how individuals are tracked with fobs. If there is some chip inserted or maybe via their space phone?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.