'You Call This Archaeology?'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/13/you-call-this-archaeology.html

3 Likes

One of the many things I disliked about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the “happy ending” that promoted Indy to Associate Dean.

They spent a good chunk of the original trilogy establishing that Dr. Jones hated the advising, grading & administrative aspects of academia and heavily implied he was really only in the job because it allowed him to do the fieldwork he lived for. And we were supposed to think he’d be happy to have a job that involved even more time behind a desk?

19 Likes

“Oh Man, remakes. Why’d it have to be remakes?”

Crashes plane

16 Likes

Another howler: Jones has nearly been hounded out of a tenured position and his friend has been forced to resign over the Red Scare, and his first instinct is to hook up with a colleague at the University of Leipzig?

6 Likes

“Good God”: Yearning for Old Testament Solutions to 1930s Problems

4 Likes

Indiana Jones was born in 1899. Harrison Ford is 78.

That means the next Indiana Jones movie will be set in the disco era.

21 Likes

“Come Back Tomorrow”: A Woman’s Guide to Small Business Ownership

4 Likes

Marshall College, now Marshall University since 1961, is a very really institution, with a very real Archeology department.

“We Are Marshall” (and, to a certain extent, “Mothman Prophecies”) are not Indiana Jones sequels.

Go Herd.

(Although I admit that if you aren’t going to actually film at Marshall, dressing up Yale to film at instead is somewhat acceptable. I guess the new library just looked too modern for the '50s.)

1 Like

different Marshall

https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Marshall_College

5 Likes

I could have sworn that the Indiana Jones franchise was set during the 1930’s, what with the fighting Nazis and all…

14 Likes

No, that was his college job as a ticket collector. I think.

9 Likes

He took his duties seriously.

14 Likes

Yeah, Indy never took the easy way.

(Okay, now I’d like some sort of crossover of Indiana Jones and Clerks.)

12 Likes

I would watch the hell out of that…

11 Likes

The only installments that count, anyway.

6 Likes

There are only 3 Indiana Jones movies.

16 Likes

And zero TV series.

5 Likes

Again, I haven’t the foggiest idea what you’re talking about.

7 Likes

Lord knows what he might find in the restrooms of Studio 54!

13 Likes

Meddling With Powers You Can’t Possibly Comprehend: Is a career in archaeology right for you?”

12 Likes