You'll never guess who funded a study that says eating 2 cups of grapes a day can make you live longer

Originally published at: You'll never guess who funded a study that says eating 2 cups of grapes a day can make you live longer | Boing Boing

7 Likes

On a side note, please don’t feed your dogs grapes:

16 Likes

Just to reemphasize this, don’t feed grapes to dogs! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

In spite of the authorship/funding, I don’t find this surprising. The standard “Western” diet as people actually eat it is way too low in fruit and fibre. Two cups of grapes is probably 3-4 of your five-a-day target, and about 3g of fibre, about 10% of your RDI. Not an incredible amount, but a good start considering most people only eat about 20% of their RDI.

6 Likes

Cersei knew…

12 Likes

???

7 Likes

At least the California Raisin Advisory Board spends their money on better things.

2 Likes

I rather suspect there is more to be gained by, maybe, not eating a high fat diet in the first place? Nah, that’s crazy talk!

11 Likes

But fats what gives meat it’s flavor! /s

8 Likes

Was it the anti-grape lobby?

2 Likes

I fully support this.

I generally wait until someone makes them into wine tho.

8 Likes

I’m honestly surprised I haven’t heard of anyone in search of antioxidants buying a jug of Mega Purple and drinking a tablespoon a day.

1 Like

<shakes fist at BIG GRAPE>

7 Likes
5 Likes

Drinking those two cups every day will help you live forever!*

Yes, my family runs a winery so don’t listen to me too hard. But on the other hand, it works for us and we’ve never been healthier. On the third hand, our modified Mediterranean diet might have something to do with that too.

[*] That’s about one or two glasses of red wine a day, or roughly a fifth of a standard 750 mL bottle.

8 Likes

As stated in the article:

“Grapes may not offset poor eating habits

“Grapes are known to contain resveratrol, a phytonutrient [and] antioxidant that is anti-inflammatory, and may be beneficial to health,” said Dana Ellis Hunnes, PhD, MPH, RD, senior clinical dietitian UCLA Medical Center, assistant professor UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, and author of “Recipe For Survival.””

So why eat grapes and the added sugars? Where’s the double-blind study about resveratrol concentrate? Oh wait, there haven’t been any. Add this to the “bullshit until proven otherwise” list.

As Michael Pollan said “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”

3 Likes

Can it be consumed in Liquid form?

4 Likes

It’s that duck that keeps coming into the bar asking for grapes, isn’t it.

4 Likes

They even got MJ to make a commercial

2 Likes

I think it’s amusing that they felt they needed a whole different organization to promote consumption of the same fruit, except wrinkly. It’s like the AARP of fruit advisory boards.

1 Like