Your favorite cover songs

I saw them do this live at CBGB’s back in the day Skid was playing a plastic water bottle - it was great. Still love it. The drum solo is a wee bit shorter than the original though.

3 Likes

Then in the late 80s, a Canadian indie band did this…

4 Likes

I prefer Kate Bush’s cover of This Woman’s Work on The Director’s Cut record:

Also I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned before that the majestic Hello Earth from Hounds of Love contains a cover of Hamlet Gonashvilli’s Tsinkstaro (which I’m sure we both hear first on Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu mummy sequence. Which has nothing to do with the movie but is some cool footage and great music so it’s in there).

Original

4 Likes

Do you mean you prefer the version she recorded for that record? Because it’s not a cover: she wrote the song!

Fun fact: she wrote it for the soundtrack of “She’s Having a Baby” and I bawled my eyes out when I heard it. Confused the heck out of the group I was there with! They didn’t know I’d had multiple miscarriages, and it plays while there are dangerous complications during labor & delivery in the story, so I totally lost it.

3 Likes

I of course know that! The Director’s Cut record is her redoing her songs to replace production errors she felt she made in the original recordings. And I don’t think it ever got recognised as her voice was a bit lower but I agree with her. It’s better.

It’s a great song and intensely emotional to her and many others, and very personal too. I have my own reasons to go in a corner and hide my face.

4 Likes

Which, as three people know, is a cover of this:

4 Likes

Shonen Knife - Top Of The World

4 Likes

I wasn’t one of those three people :flushed:

2 Likes

And I just added Shonen Knife before checking if it had been posted already - Doh!

3 Likes

I saw Shonen Knife play at the Auckland Big Day Out in '97. Pure joy.

3 Likes

The Pop-O-Pies got their start doing shows where they would just play a cover of Truckin’ repeatedly. You can use the video below to simulate being at their first show! Just play the song 10 or 15 times! Don’t get so drawn into the simulation that you start throwing beer bottles at the stage when they start again for the 3rd time though. It will break your screen.

2 Likes

They’ve been back to NZ a few times over the last decade or so. Always a great show.

3 Likes

Wedding Present - covering Make Me Smile

2 Likes

Oh Shit. Hit Parade has entered the chat. That’s, what, 24 outstanding covers?

2 Likes

Thanks - I forgot to add this

1 Like

Gordon Lightfoot covered by Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and Ian and Sylvia.

RIP, Gord and Ian

4 Likes

Look what I found! Dress rehearsal of the Met version I saw:

This is a great example that sometimes operatic voices can detract from certain songs. She has an impeccable voice, no question, but this song requires a certain bareness that doesn’t translate well to formally trained voices.

However, the entire production was phenomenal, because everyone was that good. You just have to get into the mindset that it’s being done in a different genre as a cover and enjoy it for that expansion of the original.

4 Likes

That’s dope!

I totally agree about the operatic version of the song; it’s missing the necessary grit that Sam and Janice had…

In other covers this is a fav for those ‘easy listening’ moments:

3 Likes

Truly wonderdully epic thread - many thanks to everyone!

I’ll throw in Sonic Youth’s cover of Ca Plane Pour Moi:

6 Likes

Ah, cool! I’ve been listening to that for over 30 years and TIL this. Thanks!

Also: for no good reason, today was the first time I heard the Director’s Cut version of This Woman’s Work. Holy hell. It feels like she used every day of the 20 years between to sift out every unnecessary sound and just drop us into the distilled essence of the song. It hit me in the feels, hard.

3 Likes