Your favorite cover songs

The Queen covers are reminding me of this.

Gawd, I love Annie Lennox.

8 Likes

More… odd covers…

Because of course a British Folk group would cover a Bob Dylan song in French…

And The Way I Feel (Gordon Lightfoot, R.I.P.) by Fotheringay

She Loves You, Peter Sellers

Unchained Melody by The Righteous Bothers is of course a cover, though probably the definitive version also. Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody [Live - Best Quality] (1965) - YouTube (Actually, just Bobby Hatfield).

Then there is Unchained Melody (1999 Remaster) - YouTube
(The Goons. Peter Sellers again)

5 Likes

Bonus points if you know where the eye makeup came from.

There’s an HD version of that entire concert that’s well worth the watch.

Liza Minnelli closing out the show was the best choice.

“Freddie, we just wanted to let you know we were thinking about you.”

Lots of standout performances but one of my favorites besides George Michael doing Somebody To Love and '39 is Lisa Stansfield.

The vacuum and curlers were perfect.

6 Likes

Definitely the grittiest version:

More of a sample than a cover really…

3 Likes

Lately it’s been Valerie June’s cover of Look at Miss Ohio.

On repeat. For like three days.

5 Likes

Welcome to boing boing @UndamnedOne : this song?

6 Likes

Going to be doing a deep dive now

8 Likes

Your choice reminded me of this kick-ass fun track.

8 Likes
2 Likes

So @milliefink and @Mindysan33 were discussing whether singer are musicians (yes of course they are! Regularly the best musician in a band and I would argue the way that people assume only instrumentalists are musicians is kind of because singing is the kind of musician that is most often a woman) and they mentioned Merry Clayton outshining Jagger. So here’s my favourite cover version of Gimme Shelter:

6 Likes
3 Likes

Aaaaaannnnd…. I heard a song on the radio today that reminded me of this cover version :slight_smile:

Because who doesn’t need a disco version of Jaws in their life?

Anyway the song was:

Which you might notice shares the riff and other elements with Fame by Bowie (and Lennon, and Alomar).

When I was a kid someone explained it to me that as Alomar was in James Brown’s band, and he wrote the music for Fame, in particular the riff, Brown considered it his.

On the Lalo Schiffrin record there’s a truly bizarre version of Quiet Village (by Les Baxter) which also incorporates elements of Fame in it. I can’t honestly say it’s one of my favourite cover versions but… it exists…

Okay. I’m sorry. It’s horrible. Have Sammy Davis Jr belting out Hawaii Five Oh to make up for it:

Because it’s awesome.

1 Like

I also unironically love this:

I discovered it by accident when I was downloading a bunch of acappellas (probably from Audiogalaxy) for samples. This was not that and jumped out of the speakers. There are other versions from the same group (though different personnel) accept no substitute this is the one you want and it’s recently turned up on YouTube.

6 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Yep. Got that album on repeat over here now. Thanks @UndamnedOne !

My 9-year-old daughter was getting ready for school this morning, and this was on. She wandered over to the speaker and just stood swaying, transfixed.

3 Likes

I love this!! Thank you :hugs:

6 Likes

I do not! Intrigued now. Can you share?

2 Likes

I won’t embed it because it’s not a cover but it’s from the Breakthru video. That’s Roger Taylor’s girlfriend at the time. That video is not special effects, they were actually on a moving train between 30 and 60mph, they took out a 2 million insurance policy. Freddie’s health was beginning to fail at this point. It’s a cool song and video.

2 Likes
2 Likes