Your fingers sure look tasty to this battery-powered mini chainsawy

Long out of production, but I’ve had one of these for the best part of 15 or 20 years, now. Runs on a 12v battery.
Very effective.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 17.23.58

1 Like

Not to be operated without power armor.

4 Likes

Here’s a similar item from Bosch as reviewed in 2017 by the always fantastic AvE:

2 Likes

it really does power through thicker branches much faster than a sawzall-type reciprocating saw

Yet lacks the reciprocating saw’s infamous off-label functionality.

2 Likes

If you reverse the flow, you can blow a lot of hot air.

2 Likes

I got my dad one of these for xmas a couple of years ago, which he seemed to enjoy. It seems like it’d be harder to dismember yourself with, and more importantly you can pretend it is a hungry dinosaur cutting up branches by licking them.

5 Likes

*without similar modifications :wink:

You know… like replacing with a loop of leather floggers… as one such theoretical example.

1 Like

It’s a typo but I’m going to let it stand on the BBS.

A marketing opportunity is at hand!

12 Likes

you really are a bad man! :wink:

8 Likes

I’ll say it again - the scariest thing I’ve done is mess with a gas powered chain saw and cutting down a good sized tree. I also hacked up fallen tree with an electric one. Not nearly as powerful/scary.

2 Likes

I got one of these a little while back to help with some light brush & scrub oak suckers growing rampant in the sideyard. After frustrating experiences in the past with a “normal” sized electric chainsaw and having no interest in owning and maintaining a gas-powered one, a miniature cordless unit is something with which I can deal. It disassembles into its blowmolded case and stores in a small footprint. The generic batteries hold a charge well, and the charger pack they come with is slow-charger only so there’s less risk of lithium-ion runaway conditions than some of the bigger generic fast-charging batteries floating around out there. I’m still only charging them when I’m present in the same area, ideally outdoors, given my overall lack of trust in lithium ion cordless powertool batteries, but they don’t get hot during charging and so far I’ve had no reason for concern.

I’ve used the chainsaw a few times so far and while the design engineering is fairly rudimentary, it is solid. The model I bought does have a fully functional safety interlock on the trigger. If that had not been present, it would have been returned immediately. The safety gloves are enough to slow/jam the chain, as there’s not a huge amount of torque in the motor. It’s not going to win any awards for anything, but it gets the job done and doesn’t hog up space when it’s being stored. In my book, that’s a win.

2 Likes

Obligs…

9 Likes

Never reverse the flow! Just like the polarity. And crossing streams.

2 Likes

Still, it looks pretty handy for dismembering bodies on the fly. A must have for the serial killer on the go!

5 Likes

Is that true? I recall reading that will infect the amputated finger making it harder to successfully re-attach. Normally I’d google for more info and check before posting but I kind of don’t want to see the results if I google “amputation finger first aid” or some such.

2 Likes

Chainsaw Journal is now my favorite paper of record.

4 Likes

I have one, it’s cute (in a destructive sort of way) and very effective on branches up to about 3 inches.

2 Likes

Right, I was thinking plonk it in a tupperware of milk in an ice chest (but wait; let me milk this cow first!).

2 Likes

The little Bosch is lots of fun, but what’s the failure mode for the itty bitty chain? Blades wear out fairly quickly, and I halve to assume that itty bitty chain saw chains wear out even more quickly. That just seems like a set up for injury, even if at smaller scale than a full sized chain saw.

1 Like

Well, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek, sorry. It’s really, really the last resort and should be avoided if in any way possible. And doesn’t work with anything larger than one or two finger phalanxes anyway, so…

Find something as sterile as possible to use as a wrapper/container, put this in another container/bag and try to keep it around +4°C. No direct contact with ice. On no account dry ice. The tissue should be cooled down to delay decay, but must not freeze.
Kept cool and with a little bit of luck a finger might “live” for up to 18 hours. Without cooling maybe 4 to 6 hours. A lot less in a hot environment.

Keep your tools in order. Know the health & safety rules and follow them. Get whatever personal protective equipment is recommended, keep this gear handy, in order, and use it.
Have a first-aid box handy. Restock periodically, some of what’s in there has a shelf life.

5 Likes