Your Monday afternoon new, damning Trump-Putin connection

4 Likes

I’m surprised nobody asked Gorsuch his position on whether the president is allowed to pardon himself, because I sense that he’s going to be asked to decide that soon.

4 Likes

This from 2016:

8 Likes

Hey guys, if you were wondering what the russian hacking scandal may have involved (as I have been), this is at least to me the first description of what went down with any detail that I’ve seen (forwarded to the relevant part):

8 Likes

Hey, Trump hangs out with working class people on a regular basis.

He pays them to piss on things.

4 Likes

I’m sorry man, but that Olberman video is just crap reporting. The premise that the russian hackers wanted the voter registration data to feed into a micro-targeting database for voter discouragement doesn’t pass the laugh test for one simple reason — Voter registration and voting history records are public information. Some states like Ohio make it straight-up available on the web while others charge a fee for copy of the database. But either way all the campaigns already have that data. And Olberman absolutely knows that.

In fact, Ted Cruz made headlines for trying to exploit that info during the primaries. At that time, Cruz was the favored candidate of the guy who owns Cambridge Analytica (mentioned in the Olberman video).

That video is a good reason not to trust Olberman to be a thoughtful, honest reporter. Too bad, because we need more of those.

2 Likes

Even if it the registrations could be obtained otherwise, whether it was unnecessary or not to hack to obtain them that part did occur. I will grant you that it was probably not necessary though the people responsible may have thought otherwise. Micro targeting could still have occurred regardless.

As for Ted Cruz being favored by Cambridge Analytica doesn’t mean that they liked him as a candidate only that he was out front at the time (its like taking the odds of winning). Cruz had hired Cambridge Analytica (so targeting voters being employed as a tactic may just have been in the groups playbook) but apparently Bannon did not like him personally so he wasn’t favored in the sense of being preferred:

The whole video is mainly speculation and Olberman is trying to ‘be the first’ to report this since so much hasn’t been publicly said yet. I just saw it as the first narrative that brings a lot of the pieces we’ve seen pile up connected together. YMMV

I noticed Sean Spicer trying to use the “no evidence” thing about Trump’s ties to Russia. He’s trying to set up an equivalence between “no evidence” of Obama tapping Trump and “no evidence” of Trump’s connection to Russia.

America has extremely low social mobility, and the ruling class is basically an aristocracy.

5 Likes

The first “no evidence” being a “no evidence at all” and the second being “no eveidence that we’ve been allowed to see yet”, should kill their idea that the two are the same.

3 Likes

Lots of laws out there but the ruling party in Congress doesn’t appear to have much interest in them (any more).

2 Likes

Robert Mercer, the owner of Cambridge Analytica, has spent at least $11 million to support Ted Cruz. He’s got a lot of money to spread around and the fact that he also backed Trump doesn’t erase his support for Cruz.

Only if those people are the pitchforks and torches kind.

Do we need to implement some kind of Caste Exchange Program so that the fantastically rich can meet some new people every once in a while?

It would appeal to YAs.

1 Like

I was wondering about that, but do the public versions of the voter registration include the email addresses? (Hope not! Never mind the Russians, the spammers would kill for that.)

If I was running a list like that, I’d salt it with a few “bait people” to catch leaks.

Ted Cruz was plugged into that backroom circle quite a while before the primaries. They didn’t just jump on him because he was the front-runner, I think they were working to make sure that he was. (And then swapped him for Trump in an instant, heh.)

1 Like

What really bothers me more than the fact that these right wing assholes are evil fucks is that the DEMs have absolutely no such plans of their own. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Still waiting for them to fucking grow a pair.

1 Like

I don’t know why email addresses would be collected as part of voter registration databases at all. Its not like you can do anything voter-related via email anyway. Olberman said there were email address, but I think it was more BSing.

Not that it matters, connecting the dots between voter-registration records and all the other information that Big Data has about you, including email, facebook, income, family members, etc, is standard for a modern campaign anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.