"You're too sensitive" is the most annoying phrase in America, beating out "No offense, but..."

A profoundly sociopathic CEO I had to work under would preface some replies: “With all due respect…” He respected absolutely no one other than himself, so the respect due was none. It was his asshole-y way of saying, “You’re a fucking idiot, and here’s the right answer according to my world brain.”

2 Likes
  1. “You’re too sensitive” 2. “Why are you getting so upset?” 3. “No offense, but…”

These feel like the kinds of things that someone will follow up with “I’m not racist, but…”

8 Likes

Yes! But I’m sorely tempted to advise in exactly this matter on the next go-round :slight_smile:

1 Like

HA! Great minds and all…

2 Likes

I’ve gotten “You’re too sensitive” in the doctor’s office. I finally feel seen.

2 Likes

(Picturing RigelT’s shoe flying off and hitting the ceiling during the Patellar Reflex Test)

12 Likes

Depending on what the topic is - I am fine with that.

Like “What is the best Star Wars movie.” etc.

Also, in what world is Kansas considered part of “The South”?? Especially when Missouris NOT considered part of it…

Or is it lumped in due to the level of passive-aggressiveness? Or did Kansas just go, “No no, that’s fine. i don’t want to bother anyone.” when it was placed in the wrong region?

7 Likes

“I’m a ______” followed by a position which is the opposite.
If your identity is how you start off an online discussion/argument you’re probably lying.

“You call everyone you disagree with a (pejorative for an intolerant person)!”

“So much for liberal tolerance!”

“Just google it’

1 Like

I never use “friendly reminder”, only hostile pushy reminders. I find they work better.

2 Likes

“I probably shouldn’t say this” always turns out to be true.

7 Likes

I just mutter “asshole” under my breath.

1 Like

Comments about passive-agressive phrases → even more phrases I can use. Not that I needed the encouragement.

I do like that 82% of people are passive-agressive enough to admit to it.

3 Likes

Which is always followed by something personal.

Almost as bad as “Don’t be so dramatic” enunciated in dramatic style.

1 Like

And “bless his heart.”

5 Likes

:thinking: What’s the northern equivalent of, “Bless your heart?” Asking for a friend… :wink:

11 Likes

“Why, I oughta…” /s

8 Likes

My absolute worst is someone saying “of COUR~se!!” when you point out something wrong or something they clearly have not thought about yet.

The intention being that I should be the one embarrassed for even implying that they are missing something important.

I began to translate their “of COUR~se” for others not in the know.

3 Likes

“Go fuck yourself, Scot” if my cousins are to be believed…

That’s in Stoogeses.

8 Likes

“Anyway.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s pretty much the slap across the face with a glove where I come from.

8 Likes