YouTube totally blows it on response to Steven Crowder's hate channel

Youtube: we found language that was clearly hurtful, the videos as posted don’t violate our policies on hurtful language, because… um…

So educated, so well-informed, so witty:

Sorry, I meant uneducated, uninformed and shitty…

17 Likes

com-optimize%20(32)

15 Likes

Can we have an addon that takes “we take <x> very seriously” and replace that with something with equally zero meaningful content like “Colorless green ideas sleep furiously” or I don’t know, really anything equally non-meaningful in context.

6 Likes

I get the feeling that right-wing viewers are more susceptible to advertising, and that’s why all these social media platforms are so reluctant to lose them.

13 Likes

TIL that YouTube weighs downvotes and upvotes equally when promoting a video. All it cares about is people being “engaged.”

12 Likes

Yeah, but it’s an automated clusterfuck run by a machine learning algorithm.

10 Likes

Christ, whoever’s running their Twitter account is somehow even worse at using Twitter than Twitter’s own employees…

then

then

I mean, I get it, Twitter is (perhaps ironically) not great for nuanced asynchronous conversation, but maybe that’s a good reason to not attempt to negotiate policy violations in public and instead ask for Maza’s email address so they can have this discussion privately, then make a blog post once the whole thing has actually been addressed.

Also, most actual communities that gave a single crap about its members and their safety would ban the shit out of a person who had committed “continuous egregious actions that have harmed the broader community”, not simply take away one of that person’s many revenue streams until they promised to stop. Did they not learn anything from the Alex Jones mess, or is whatever neural network they have making policy decisions still incorporating it into The Algorithm?

Ah, PragerU, the “institution” that was running 4 minute long anti-LGBT ads on LGBT content last year. Marvelous.

11 Likes

Perhaps if they had people doing that instead of an algorithm…

11 Likes

“Youtube blows it” implies that they did something that miight hurt their corporate bottom line. From what’s I can tell, there wont be any consequences, so its hard to believe this was any kind of mistake. Sure, they made life worse for everyone, but that’s no longer a liability in today’s capitalism.

6 Likes

Downvotes and upvotes are a lousy substitute for good policy. Look at Amazon, where the right wing frequently targets books and movies with 1-star ratings to decrease sales.

3 Likes

By demonetizing his channel, they’ve made a positive move for their bottom line. Now they keep ALL the ad revenue his channel generates, instead of splitting it with him.

6 Likes

This is true.

9 Likes

This video recently made the rounds again. A while back, Crowder was harassing workers on a picket line, so this absolute beast of an IBEW brother knocks him the hell out. http://twitter.com/Toms_Spectre/status/1131996337904291840

4 Likes

Reporting stuff to YT, or communicating in any way with YT is like talking to a rock. It has always been that way. Right from the start the have had a reactive mentality, not a proactive. And they only react if they really really have to because the complaining entity is too rich or famous to ignore.

5 Likes

How does one call out shenanigans without triggering the Streisand effect?

3 Likes

Somewhere in a basement server dungeon in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, the youtube algorithm continues to troll the world, “There you go, you fuckers! This is what you get for putting me in charge of system!”

7 Likes

com-optimize%20(33)

5 Likes

I’m not a lawyer, but if I remember correctly doesn’t YouTube depend (heavily) on safe harbor laws as a defense against being sued by every Tom, Dick, and Harry who gets offended by a video? Don’t those safe harbor laws require basically treating messages / videos / content consistently without cherry-picking like “you broke the rules, but we like you, so we’re giving you a pass”?

I suspect YouTube has access to plenty of lawyers in the legal department, but would a threat of a class-action lawsuit seeking a judgment that YouTube is no longer protected by those safe harbor laws due to their conduct light a fire under YouTube Legal’s ass?

5 Likes

I know. In an ideal world we would all be on board about calling a jerk a jerk and then banning them from the town.

3 Likes

Great angle, hadn’t thought of it in that way. Thanks!

2 Likes