YTMND disappears

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/ytmnd-disappears.html

5 Likes

I’m lost, again.

5 Likes

I’m lost right now! :wink:

9 Likes

That sucks, i wasn’t an avid user back in the day but i did enjoy the occasional discovery of wildly funny gifs/videos from the site. There’s a few i still think about to this day that make me laugh. It will be missed :frowning:

6 Likes

I didn’t know there was more to the site than “You’re the man now, dog.”

2 Likes

Yeah, my entire experience of it was “You’re the man now, dog!”

I guess at some point the creator decided to turn it into something. That’s the sad part of the story to me.

It should have stayed what it was, like http://isabevigodadead.com/

4 Likes

At least my memorial YTMND to Jack Horkheimer will live on in the archives.

2 Likes

A good amount of the old YTMND content got reuploaded as early Youtube content:

3 Likes

Wow I remember torrenting the YTMND unofficial soundtrack back in the day. It was a collection of the popular songs used on the pages there. It’s wild to imagine it’s going to be gone so soon since some artists did actually make some quite good animated gifs for the site (one that took elements from Hieronymus Bosch’s work). Then there’s some cheesy ones like “History of our World” which does a rough summation of history in the hundreds of millions of years of what might happen (continental drift, galaxies colliding, and the like). It would be a sad day if all that was lost IMO.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what an avid user of YTMND.com even looks like but I personally am good with being ignorant on this subject.

1 Like

YTMND was one of the first sites I setup for FM, a little upstart ad network for independents who’s first publisher was… Boing Boing, along with Digg, Fark and others.

Let’s hope the few independent sites that remain can continue to stick it out in a modern web dominated by huge networks and algorythims that reinforce the dominance of those organizations.

14 Likes

Back in the day, having a less than adequate PC, the animations would often go out of sync with the audio, which would often ruin some of the more elaborate gags.

If I link to one thing, it would have to be this:

7 Likes

So I can’t cruise by once a year anymore to laugh about the Vadercoaster???

Sad times.

1 Like

This is my all time favorite

7 Likes

Does that mean Little Mac got his bike back?

I thought YTMND was gone years ago. Good riddance. For every 1 marginally funny thing there were countless racist, homophobic, or otherwise awful things.

Case in point.

3 Likes

YTMND?

giph2y

4 Likes

I loved YTMND back in the day for that bit of hilarious content but agreed that the nasty gross stuff started to overwhelm the fun.

3 Likes

So, it’s like the internet in general?

3 Likes

Yes, except for zombo.com, which will always be pure and perfect.

8 Likes