'Yuri's Night' space parties in L.A. Sat April 6th, then DC, Seattle, Colorado, Space Coast April 12-13, 2019

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/yuris-night-space-partie.html

3 Likes

Oh, Yuri. I thought you meant yuri.

1 Like

“All your hero are belong to us!”

It is nice to see how a future generation hoovers up a hero of the past, regardless of the history of the Space Race and the enmity between the US and the USSR at the time.

1 Like

In a sane world, this would be a global holiday. Instead it’s a fairly obscure party, in a world that’s turned in on itself and more or less ignored the door that Gagarin opened to the infinite possibilities above us.

5 Likes

Or perhaps people have come to grips with the fact that there was no “infinite possibility” and that if we are going to explore space for serious scientific reasons rather than romantic ideas of space colonies (which, spoiler alert: aren’t going to happen), robots are simply far more practical than sending humans.

Why not both?TM

2 Likes

Refusal to recognize facts and trying to denigrate someone else’s astounding and heroic achievement because you’re jealous are hallmarks of a childish, emotionally stunted person. First is first. He was courageous. It was a tremendous feat. These are undeniable facts. Get over it.

2 Likes

Spoken like a card-carrying member of the “why get off the couch when Amazon brings everything I need to the door” generation.

1 Like

Its a regular Yuri nation!

Hey, I agree with everything you said. Maybe I could have been clearer in my original post. I was just tickled that 58 years after Gagarin was an object of fear in the minds of the American Media, he has risen to the status as a folk hero at least for a certain slice of Americans.

I seriously don’t get what that has to do with anything. And if it matters, I’m GenX, so a bit old for what I suspect you’re imagining. But seriously. There is no place for humanity to go. At best you could imagine we could have a few scientific bases on the moon or Mars akin to polar research stations. But even polar bases, here on Earth, aren’t self-sufficient. Space bases are going to be even less so. They can’t exist without Earth, so the whole idea of humanity somehow escaping extinction when the Earth goes is nonsense.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.