Zamrock: 1970s psychedelic rock from Zambia

Originally published at: Zamrock: 1970s psychedelic rock from Zambia | Boing Boing

4 Likes

There’s a small label in LA that’s releasing a bunch of Zamrock, and this article reminds me that I need to seek it out - somebody help me with the name, please! I’ve completely forgotten it.

3 Likes

More great stuff:

3 Likes

Once again, my ‘zine had an issue in this topic!

Check out “The Ghetto” by Paul Ngozi and “Love and Freedom” by Keith Mlevhu.

7 Likes

The link from the blog post to the forum thread doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Was just listening to Witch this morning by coincidence.

3 Likes

Now-Again Records. They do a lot of obscure reissue work, as well as doing some recent stuff by assorted international artists (Karl Hector, Heliocentrics, Fabiano Do Nascimento).

Those Witch records kind of grew on me, but the best “Zam-rock” album, hands down, has got to be Blackfoot’s “The Foot Steps.” Finally reissued a few years ago and the LP is pretty decent sounding (I doubt they had the original tapes so probably from a really clean vinyl source.)

5 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Short cool documentary on Vimeo from one of the labels that re-released this music:

4 Likes

Analog Africa are one of the labels I subscribe to on Bandcamp. They have all sorts of amazing stuff from 1970’s Africa.
I love psychedelia and African music so this is right up my street. Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.