Zimbabwean authorities call for extradition of lion-killing dentist

[Read the post]

2 Likes

lol. of course he would get a fair trial in Zimbabwe*

*this is not an endorsement of the piece of shit in question.

8 Likes

Oxford University had a grant worth about £600,000 to study Cecil which they’ve now lost 90% of since the animal was poached. After Zimbabwe is finished he should be extradited to the UK and/or sued for the damages

14 Likes

He’ll probably negotiate a monetary settlement. If he can afford $50k for a tag, he can cough up $1MM as a fine/settlement. Oh the worries for the 1%.

8 Likes

Is there any reason he shouldn’t be extradited, though? This is pretty much exactly what extradition is for.

7 Likes

Legally? Maybe not, because there is an extradition treaty between Zimbabwe and the United States. I’m not so sure there should be though.

2 Likes

I can understand if people might have reservations about the fairness of a criminal trial in Zimbabwe. But, if you do, maybe you shouldn’t travel there and commit crimes?

10 Likes

I won’t lose much sleep if this guy ends up in prison there, my worry wouldn’t be about the likes of him.

1 Like

From the looks of his “trophy” room and membership in Safari Club Int. (since revoked) there must have been a lots of people in MN with lots of rotten teeth and lots of $$$$.Where did he get the time? Did he do speed dentistry? Did he only pursue animals with teeth? So many questions. If he gets shipped back to Africa we probably won’t get to ask him.

Reminds me of this:

2 Likes

The Zimbabweans should let a pride of lions try the guy.

1 Like

Can’t be any less “fair” than a trial in the US with all those special secret courts (espionage act trial, secret FISA courts etc.) you got there.

3 Likes

When Fish & Wildlife starts using the FISA courts, I’ll back you up on that.

2 Likes

He enter a trial in Zimbabwe, because he broke their law in their land.

What’s hard about that? Am I missing something?

Send the fuckers all our dentists.

Send him.

It isn’t as though all he did was pull the bowstring/trigger whatever. In all likelihood he witnessed/aided in the activity with the collar and did/said nothing. A trial is a good way to find out his level of involvement and if that reaches criminal conspiracy to commit or cover a crime.

Fuck him pretending he’s legit. It’s highly unlikely.

This is a much better PR move than actually holding the hunting guides accountable.

1 Like

Meanwhile, five endangered elephants were killed in Kenya, nobody cares because they didn’t have human names and their killers were faceless locals.

5 Likes

Illogical and odd are the ways of the Internet Outrages.

2 Likes

Amid the outrage and jokes this has been something that’s been on my mind, and was even before this: how do we change things so killing endangered animals is no longer economically rewarding? I don’t want to let the dentist off the hook, but the guys who took money to lure out a lion bear some responsibility too.

This was always on my mind back when I grew exotic plants, some of which were endangered in the wild. Too bad you can’t tissue culture an elephant.

2 Likes